How would you handle this?

My DH and I recently went on a vacation to see our families. We spent quite a bit of time with my parents. My mother constantly bashes men (though she is still married to my dad and has been for 34 years now). She is constantly saying how men can't do anything right, men shouldn't be allowed to go out while their wife is home with the kids, men should do housework but they can't do it right so you have to go back and do it over again anyway, all sorts of stuff like that. Well she kept making comments about how my DH wasn't doing anything to help me with the kids, and how lazy he was, and how I shouldn't be letting him go out and all this. So of course DH got really mad I wasn't defending him, though I was. I kept telling her everything he does, how great he is, she just didn't believe it. I feel like I should have told her to mind her own business, and he thinks so too. How would you handle that situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Since you mentioned that you "went on a vacation" to see your family, I will assume that they do NOT live close by and that you probably don't see them very often. If that's the case, then bygones. Let it go. You can't control other people, only how YOU react to specific situations. Let your husband vent, then forget about it. If she's constantly bashing men, then you're husband shouldn't take it personally since she's the one with the issues. Ask him if he'd like to live closer?
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Ask mom to lay off dh. Maybe she doesn't realize she is being mean. She may think it is funny.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i see before you came your parents had little fight and she took out on you my mother was other way around she would tell all my sisters and i don't know why your hubbyies stay with you girls you can't do anything right .can't cook .sew or clean your house.so one time she came to my house and repeated about my house cleaning in which it was clean but to her not to her standers'so i sayed if you can do better ever thing is the back room go for it.
    oh yes i as long i was small my mother never cleaned house i had 7 sisters and we did all the work lol
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Since she lives so far away, I would let it go. I know its hard to do, considering "she's your mom" but you must realize that you cannot control anyone elses behavior, especially in their own house. Your husband knows the type of man he is...you know that you married a good man...therefore, mom's opinion, really doesn't matter.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would have told her what an amazing guy he was & to shut her mouth until she learned to say something nice about him. Then I would have went home. there is NO WAY I would let ANY disrespect my SO like that.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2010