Frozen Meals??

I am almost 32 weeks pregnant and I am going to start preparing and freezing meals for after the baby is born. I need easy things that my Husband can just put in the oven and heat up. Do you have any good recipes like that? Do you know of any sites or resources to use?

Thanks.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 12:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Check out 5dollardinners.com. She does a lot of batch cooking to freeze, and she also had a baby a while back (8 months?) so she did a lot of freezer meals. I'm fond of soups, making huge pots and freezing in both single servings and family size portions - then you don't need the oven either. One meal I think is good to freeze that I didn't see mentioned is Tater Tot casserole - easy to make multiple pans at once. Cook hamburger (I use 2lbs to make a 9x13 pan), drain the grease off, mix in veggies of your choice (canned or frozen, if using frozen cook the meat and mix in veggies still frozen - green beans are our family's favorite) and cream of whatever soup (I use 2 small cans celery for a 9x13). Spread in pan(s) and top with a layer of frozen tater tots. Cover with foil and freeze. To bake, put in a cold oven set to 425, for 1-2 hours (time depends on size of pan and how full it is).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Lasagna, spaghetti sauce, brown several pounds of hamburger meat and put about what you think a pound would be into freezer bags and freeze. Mix some with taco seasoning. Put a couple of chicken breasts in a freezer bag and pour in some marinade... it will marinate as it freezes and again when it thaws then it's grill or pan or baking sheet ready. Buy lots of frozen veggies! (Kroger's are $.88 per bag here), vegetable soup, chili, burritos. I know that cream cheese and sour cream do not freeze well! My mac n cheese freezes awesome! (8oz of macaroni cooked. whisk together 1 can cheddar cheese soup and refill can with milk. Then stir in 1 c of cheddar cheese, then the noodles. put in a baking dish and freeze. When ready to use, thaw and stir and top with more cheddar cheese! Bake 375 for about 30 min! Yummy!)
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I know you're freezing meals for ease but don't forget your crockpot. With every new baby this was my best friend. To make it even easier many CP recipes can be prepared in the crock pottery and put in the refer the night before to be put in the base to cook.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Kraft Foods.com has all kinds of recipes and other ideas also. I use this web site alot.
    Ruthie170

Answer by Ruthie170 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I like to just cook up some ground burger and have it ready for things like Tacos and Spaghetti!
    All the other suggestions are great too!

Mashed potatoes, rice, and beans do not freeze well.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• just make sure your husband never preheats the oven always use a cold oven when heating food in frozen/cold glass casserole dishes, ....That all I can add since every one else has given you such good ideas
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i just tried making my own version of frozen pizza on hoggie rolls cut long way with my own sauce cheese n toppings i wrapped it in plastic wrap put it in the freezer it worked well for me it was quick dinner that my husband didn't burn this time without picking up the phone. when they cooked it he just placed it in the toaster oven for 5 min. n my kids liked as it as well. i used rago garden chunky it has zuchinni in it which we all like good luck. with the baby i just went though it now i have a 11 week old daughter
    chipNskip

Answer by chipNskip at 12:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i just make extra food and store in freezer
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:03 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• LOVE the crock pot - it has been a lifesaver and I still love it 20 months later. We love Taco Soup and it freezes great - here is a good basic recipe. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Soup-III/Detail.aspx I add lots more types of beans, and canned corn. I usually make a double recipe and freeze some, but I have to be quick because my husband will eat it all day long until it's gone!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Veggies with tomatoe sauses; pot pies; bake potatoes with chili toppings. Have pkg shredded cheese available. Also, chilli to make chilli burgers, chilli hotdogs or chilli bake potatoes. Or even Chilli Fries - precut frozen fries and one can of chilli. Shredded cheese for topping. Rolled flour tortillas with stuff in the middle - sheddred beef or hambuger or chicken & cheese or even lunch meat with shredded cheese and microwave for two min to warm up. Get freezer containers and put a cooked porkchop, backed patatoe, and some veggies in it. Reheat for 5 min. Open and eat. Make Sloppy Joes. Tamale pie. Take a container layer with the following: Chips, meat, green peppers & onions, black olives, and beans/or chili; shredded cheese. Keep making layers until the top. Have Sour Cream for topping if he likes that and extra cheese to melt when thawing in Microwave for 5 min. Check out Kraft. com too. Congradulations on baby!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010