• In the Spotlight:

Do you think you are too over protective of your children?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope. I think I'm just protective enough. I teach my kids to be independent and self-reliant and how to function in the world and then I send them out to explore and live. I rarely saw them this weekend. They were outside running around with their friends both days and my 10yo spent the night at a friend's house (yay!). It's nice. the house is so quiet most of the day and I know they are enjoying life and getting plenty of exercise.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No. I'm generally rather free range... My mother was OVER PROTECTIVE to the point of abuse... I like to think I'm nothing like her.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes, I am way over protective, but that is what people would of said years ago was a moms instinct, to protect. Try my darnest to keep my babies as safe as I humanly can.
    Ruthie170

Answer by Ruthie170 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes I know I am and it is really hard to let go and let them do stuff without me being there to make sure they are safe.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 12:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I know I'm probably way too overprotective of my son but I know he's safe and thats all that matters to me
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Nope..just doing what I should be doing as a parent..making sure a child is well cared for / loved!
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 12:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I know I am. I went through hell to get her here and nearly died doing so. I'm not about to lose her in any way. Now, I'm going through it all again (for the last time) for my son. I'm sure I'll be just as protective of him.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am in some ways and in other ways I am not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes, I am overprotective but these are my last 2 MY first 2 died so these boys have to deal with a challenged me. They do not go without the important things in life including boundaries appropriate for their ages of 11 and 12.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• im protective...but i wouldnt say im over protective..does that mean im gonna let my 6 yr old ride her bike around the block or down the street by herself? no. but if im in the front watering or doing some gardening or something, then yes, shes allowed to ride a couple houses down the street.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010