geting a 3 year old to eat?

will i have a 3 YEAR OLD HIS 4 THIS MONTH BUT HIS NOT Been eating good he only wants sweet things eny one know good kids food he might like that i can cooke up to see if he likes pleas help

sindysu

Asked by sindysu at 12:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nope..i put out fruit an veggies til my lil ones got hurngry..when he hungry he will eat whatever u put in front of him..no juice..
    just water,fruit an veggies...cause he will get full off the juice of any kind
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:48 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my ds is the same way, the Dr has even told me to feed him things that we shouldnt normally eat because he is so skinny , like McDonalds , n doughnuts, what i make here at home that i know he loves is spaghetti, mac n cheese, hot pockets, salads w/ranch dressing fish sticks w/ketchup n corn n potatoe salad, those are basically the foods i know he will eat so i try to make them frequently, he too just turned 4 in Aug
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i never really gave my children sugar filled foods but once u give them a taste they seem to crave it, so to brake urs, i make healthy snacks.. like ants on a log and the best part is u can buy mommy and me cook books that have a bunch of recipes for u and ur child to cook together and they r very healthy foods and when ur kids help u they get proud and r eager to eat it... mine help me make their after school snacks and dinner all the time and they don't even relize its all veggies and fruits.. good luck

ps ants on a log is really simple
    1 get some celery and wash it (cut off the ends)
    2 cut the celery in half
    3 grab some peanut butter
    4 and 2-3 raisins for each piece of celery

now as u put the celery on the plate grab the peanut butter let ur son at to the center of the celery all the way across(in the dip) then have him help u count the ants( raisins) on the peanut butter

Bekah S.

Answer by Bekah S. at 1:06 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Dont give him anything sweet. Don't offer it.

Try pb & j, apples and pb, pears, apples, peaches,
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Stick to the healthy foods, fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. and offer a variety. Get him involved with the food prep helps also. At this age, he can spread peanut butter on bread, stack lunch meat and cheese onto bread or crackers, stir foods in a bowl, etc. Keep the sweets for an occasional treat, like once a week if he has been a good eater for the week. Make a weekly chart and put a sticker on each day he has eaten good so he can track his own progress.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• if he doesn't have a choice of sweets, he'll eat. My 3.5 year old loves pb&j, broccoli, turkey sandwiches, baked chicken nuggets, things like that.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my kids love sweets too... what kids dont?
    but they are NOT given a choice at home... we don't have sweets to offer... kids won't starve... so get rid of the sweets and stock up on only good things in your house... your kiddo won't have a choice and well... it will be easier to simply say that we don't have any cookies than to fight about it...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Offer a variety of things on a little platter each day.. allow him to graze if he wants. Kids go through phases and sometimes want to eat more or less and their tastes do change. Offer yogurt, cheese, peanut butter and apples, hummus and pretzels, little finger sandwiches or roll ups, veggies, etc. Kids loving having options.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My dd went through a stage where she wouldn't eat what was served (or anything else for that matter.) I would be lucky to get her to eat a meal a day so I finally talked to her pedi and he said just to let her be, when she was truly hungry she would eat. He also said it was up to me to make sure that what was available was nutritious. She is a typical kid and likes sweets too, but that is never an option unless she has ate a healthy meal. She still eats like a bird, but when she gets hungry, she will eat what is offered.
    mom2abby06

Answer by mom2abby06 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You can't have sweets in the house so they don't have a choice but to eat healthier. They will surprise you and eat things you wouldn't think they would if they are offered and eaten by everyone else. I thought my son wasn't eating much but in reality I have very distorted serving sizes and I was giving him too much at a time.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 4:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010