Why is my baby upset?

My 20 month old son woke up crying, and when I leaned over him to console him, he looked at me with sheer terror in his eyes and started screaming. When my husband tried to comfort him he did the same thing and it took like 5 mins to calm him down. What just happened?!

Daphne85

Asked by Daphne85 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he was probably just crying in his sleep and when you leaned over to console him, it startled him. i'm sure he's fine. My daughter does that sometimes.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Night terrors?
    http://www.drgreene.com/qa/what-are-night-terrors
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i agree it sounds like night terrors.....dont move him....just lightly talk/sing a soothing song in his ear so he hears..an he should calm down cause most likely he doesnt even realize that its happening...i been dealing with my kids an this problem for over 15 yrs..GL
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 2:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• he was probably having a night terror and was still partially asleep when he saw you both .
    babie113

Answer by babie113 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010