Help with potty training special needs child. adult content

I have a 5 yo son with special needs. We have been potty training for about 3 weeks. He has been very successful with urinating. He wears underwear and goes on his own or asks to go. However, he hates to sit on the toilet. He fights it and cries no matter what kind of incentive we use. He has not had a bowel movement in the toilet. He will go in his underwear or pull up if he is wearing one. I am all out of ideas and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

elle31106

Asked by elle31106 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think most children are afraid of sitting on the toilet when they start potty training. Have you tried a potty training toilet seat?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We do have a training seat on our toilet. I have even went so far as to wrap my hand in toilet paper and hold it under him, incase his issue is separation anxiety, without any success. Like I said, he is very successful with urinating (he stands for that) but we are having such issues with sitting to have a BM.
    elle31106

Comment by elle31106 (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Is he too big and will he use a potty chair? Maybe you could gradually introduce him to the toilet.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2010