Crochet help!!! pattern trouble :/

Hi everyone :) I am making baby booties for my 2 friends who are both having babies this winter and I found this pattern online. Now I am a newbie and this pattern is confusing me. I understand the gist of everything like I know dc means double crochet and hdc = half double crochet ecetera...

So I was wondering if someone could please explain these instructions in regular English lol and explain exactly what I'm supposed to do. I would greatly appreciate it because I just found out my one friend's baby shower is soon so I need to get my butt in gear lol....heres a part of the instructions...

Using tan yarn, ch 8.

Rnd 1: hdc in 3rd ch, dc next 4, (6 dc) in last ch, working on other side of chain hdc next 4, (3 hdc) in last loop. Join to beg ch 2.

oxojen178oxo

Asked by oxojen178oxo at 1:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'll give this a try -- You have 8 chains - hdc in 3rd ch from hook (You only use the 3rd or 4th ch depending on whether you are working a hdc or dc from the hook on the first stitch after working the 1st row of chains), work 1 dc in each of the next 4 chs. work 6 dc in last ch (ch number 8, and yes they will fit in 1 ch!) The last step is where the toe will be. Hope this helps!
    GeneviveDesign

Answer by GeneviveDesign at 9:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Ok so I'm gonna try to break it down as to why I am confused :/....
    So first I chain 8..then I hdc in 3 ch...but then it says dc next 4, does that mean I dc 4 times? see this is where I get confused because I thought that when you do a dc you use the 4th chain from the hook so if this pattern says dc 4 times where do they all go? lol Because it says to only chain 8 in the beginning :/
    also I don't know how 6dc would ever fit in one chain space i.e. (6 dc) in last chain
    oxojen178oxo

Comment by oxojen178oxo (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Sep. 13, 2010