At what age do you think your children should be out of your house?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• It depends on the kid. I am personally trying to get her ready to be on her own, but I think it may be a while. She needs to go to college
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I guess it would depend on the circumstances. If they were capable of getting their own place, then once they were 18 and fit into that category, then I would say then. But if they are unable to support themselves financially (and not because they just don't feel like working or are being irresponsible) then I would let my kids live with me as long as they needed to be able to get on their own 2 feet.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• df& i have always sd that as long as they are in college then they can live w/us but if they are out parting after 18 then they need to get out.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:43 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think they should have the tools they need to survive on their own at 18. If they needed to work or go to school for a while until they could fully support themselves I would allow them to stay as long as they agreed to certain rules and a "Moving Out" Schedule.
    NaturalMomma219

Answer by NaturalMomma219 at 1:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Depends on the kid and the situation. I was out at 17 but I was in college, still on my parents payroll. If my son is a spoiled brat, he will be out at 18. If he is a good student, wants to continue with college and works hard, then I guess he can stay longer, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I guess that would depend. I gave my children an option. They could live with me and go to school full time or they could live at the dorm. If they didn't want to go to school, they had to move out and get a full time job.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:49 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• As long as they are in school they can live with us but once they are out of school then they're on their own unless something comes up and they need to stay with us for a short time. We currently have an 18yo in college and he goes to school out of state & comes home during school breaks & will be home during the summer mos.. Once he finishes his education he'll be on his own. Our 20, 22 and 24yo's are all out on their own though in a few weeks our 24yo will be getting out of the Army and he'll be staying with us for a few weeks. He doesn't want to live with us long term, he's been on his own for the last 5 years & married for the past almost 3 years (though now going through a divorce) and wants to be back on his own as soon as possible. He'll contribute to the grocery, water and electric bills while he lives here.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My desirable age...18...LOL but that's only in my dreams...All my children left when they reached the age of 20...and that was by their own choices. They saved enough money to support themselves...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That depends... If they are done school and still living at home they should have to pay rent... if they are in school or uni they can stay at home and not pay... that's what my parents did with my brother and I... pretty good deal.
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• For good, by 22. When my kid is in college I won't mind them living at home, home for weekends, holidays, summers, w/e.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010