Eggs for kids under a year old?

I have been told by the doctor and wic and everyone that you are not suppose to give babies eggs before they are a year old. That they can have the yolk but not the whites. Because it causes allergies. Why would my child just want to eat the yolk. Has anyone heard this or do you give you child whole eggs? Does it really cause allergies? Just like peanut butter and strawberries they say not to give before a year old.

mybabychunk

Asked by mybabychunk at 1:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally don't believe it.
    I say do what you feel comfortable with.
    I have never had the problem of a child developing an allergy because they ate something before a certain age. Just make sure your child will not choke and you're safe.
    I think that the child just may have an allergy to the food and those are the more common foods they have allergies to. And a child so young having an allergic reaction to a food can be scary. Trust yourself and don't be paranoid.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I don't know why anyone would want to introduce eggs to their babies.....just wait till there a year what's the big deal.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I give my girls eggs w/ just the yoke and a couple of spoon fulls of formula. Scramble them up and put them in the microwave until they start to bubble, like 20 secs or so. My girls love them.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 1:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My 9m old loves them. She would try to get them off my plate so i gave her a little in the beginning and now she LOVES them. She has had no problems.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 3:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• we give my son scrabbled eggs all the time, he loves them. but if your family has a history of food allergies i can understand waiting.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 4:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i dont think it CAUSES allergies, i think they just want you to be careful that your baby might already be allergic to eggs. if their is no family history of allergies i think it would be fine, just be really careful until youre sure your baby's not allergic.....
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2008