Would anyone love to live on a farm? more inside, I assure you.....

I always feel this inner belonging to earth and farming. Mending old worn carharts, and lifting big milk barrels, getting up to the fresh air, way before dawn ... even napping in the cow barn when the chores are over. I want my own land and lots of trees, and plants, and food.
I don't care for high tech 24/7, it's so so boring and predictable. (Even an old typewriter works with ink when you refill them)
I expect some farm owners to reply, if not, go back to sleep.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 1:48 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I don't have a farm, but I did move from a big city to a very rural town about 4 years ago. I love it. I just sat here in the dark and listened to a huge choir of coyotes a few minutes ago. I have a half acre and a decent house and it was very very cheap. I still have a good job but I work less and am more connected to my family. It was a good change.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i think i would...my brother and his wife have a lil farm, they have 5 horses, 30ish chickens, 2 dogs..and whenever they go outta town me and my daughter go and housesit for them, and its sooooo much fun!! feeding the chickens, collecting their eggs, washing the eggs, feeding the horses..we have a blast!! we actually get to go there this next weekend coming up!! and im sooooo excited!! usually we get to go in the summer and be there for a week, and get to swim, but i couldnt get time off work, so we couldnt!! :( but yaa, i love it!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• sounds quite romantic and wholesome. go on a farmstay holiday
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 4:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My ex and I had a ranch together for many years of my life. I loved everything about it, but the man I lived with, lol.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 6:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I've lived on a farm all my life, over 40 years. We've raised chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, goats, pigs, sheep, cows, and horses, along with huge gardens. I do love living on my mini farm, but you left out cleaning the manure from the barns daily, carrying numerous buckets of hot water through freezing blizzards to your animals twice a day or more during the winter, doing chores even when you're so sick you can barely stand, getting smacked in the face by a cow's tail or even kicked when she doesn't feel like being milked, pulling calves from a cow during birth if they're having trouble, pulling weeds in a losing battle, fighting to grow food in the most uncooperative weather, and canning your harvest in a 100° kitchen during the hottest part of the year. I've had great, productive years, and several years that I took a loss. It's not an easy life, but it has its rewards. Knowing I can be self-sufficient is enough.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Most of my uncles were dairy farmers, and I spent much of my childhood on dairy farms. I didn't enjoy it, and as an adult I couldn't imagine that lifestyle. I love the outdoors, but I'm more of a beach house person. I have a lot of respect for people that work that hard for relatively little - it's not an easy life.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I grew up on a farm & I miss it so much
    no1coachmom

Answer by no1coachmom at 12:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Another aspect of farm life is you can never leave the animals unless you have someone you can trust to tend them if you take time off.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• DH & I are frustrated farmers. We do have a large yard and grow as much as we can in a relatively small space, we even started a small orchard, but we can't have chickens or other typical farm animals here.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I feel the same way...and totally would move if we could afford it. I want the whole nine yards...
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010