Cereal - to give or not to give - that is the question

My son is 4 months old, 19 pounds and seems to eat nonstop : ) I am breastfeeding him and recently ran into the problem of not being able to keep up with his need. I have had to give him formula which was very difficult for me to help supplement his feeding. I have been told by several friends and family that it is time to add cereal to his milk to help him feel more full. We added the cereal and suddenly my son seemed so much more content. He was less fussy and sleeping longer (still not sleeping through the night but waking up less)

At his next appointment, I was talking with my doctor he stated that I may want to wait for the cereal as there have been recent studies that link asthma and exema (sp) with early introduction of cereal.

So my question is

1- Have you ever heard of this before?
2- How much stock would you put into this?
3- Would you use cereal at this point?

tooqtcute

Asked by tooqtcute at 1:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yeah, my son is 4 months and 16 lbs and eats cereal and baby food. Ask his doctor but it should be okay.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have not heard it, I use cereal (She gets it for breakfast and dinner - 6 ounces of formula mixed with 5 tablespoons of cereal for those 2 meals) and I will continue to give it to her, especially since very soon she will be getting more solids in her diet anyways.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have not heard of that...i started my 8 month old on cereal at 4 months and my first son was on cereal even earlier than that in his bottle (it wasn't so frowned upon back then)...he's 16 yrs old now.
    pinkchick88

Answer by pinkchick88 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I started feeding regular baby food at 4 months. I never did the cereal thing.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Recent studies also so that early day care helps reduce the risk of asthma so if you're kid is in day care and eating cereal the two should negate. :)
    Anonymous

• I don't think I would be SO concerned except I found out that my father developed Asthma late in life ( after 30) - so I don't know if Elliot would be predisposed to have asthma and the cereal would just set it off?
    tooqtcute

Answer by tooqtcute at 2:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i have three girls and two out of three of my girls were on cereal by the time they were 3 months old. it will not hurt them honestly i think if they are that hungrey feed them and if youi think they are eating too much formula then give them a little cereal all it does is cost there stoach and help them feel full.
    mama3g2s

Answer by mama3g2s at 3:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• started my daughter on cereal after 3 months. she was sleeping through the night just fine at a very early age and all of the sudden started waking up at 3:00 in the morning. so i gave her cereal at night and then she was back to normal.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 3:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My 31 weeker was on cereal in his bottle in the NICU to help him gain weight and we continued it at home. By 4 months, both my kids were getting cereal and baby food. I've never heard of the asthma/eczema link but since my 31 weeker has both it really doesn't matter to me.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Yes I have heard this and would take more stock in scientific studies rather than ancedotal evidence presented here. Cereal has very little nutritional value 5 calories per tablespoon, if you are having a hard time keeping up I would look into avacadoes for the natural good fats and more vitamins.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 6:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2008