what time should my 4 month old go to bed?

TrulyOutrageous

Asked by TrulyOutrageous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The earlier the better. It seems like common sense to put the baby down when you go to bed, but this is often too late for a baby. My son went down at 6:30 at 4 months old and his bedtime now is between 6:30 and 7:30 on most nights (he is now 11 months old). He sleeps until 7 on most mornings, too. Most sleep experts will advise you to put your baby down to sleep on the earlier side.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• LOL there's no real set time for a 4 month old. 4 Month olds are still having to eat every 2 to 4 hours, so until the baby gets to be around 8 to 12 months you'll just have to go with the babys schedule. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• What time I think for the most part is up to each parent... My kids go to bed what most would consider supper early (7:00 pm). When they were your child age it was 5:30-6:00 pm. The most important thing in my opinion is total hours of sleep:

I've read that babies 1-4 months old need 14 ½ - 15 ½ hours per day. That's the primary reason my kids went to bed so early. It allowed them to get the total hours the need.

My kids go to bed now at 7 pm (7:30 the latest) because children in their age group (They are 6 and 7 years old) need about 10-11 hours of sleep. My kids are up at 6-6:30 am So they get about 11 hours.

Webmed has an article about how much sleep a child needs.
    http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/how-much-sleep-do-children-need
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Whenever they are tired at 4 months my daughter slept A LOT. SHe still likes her sleep. SHe goes in to bed at 8:00 now and she usually sleeps until 7 or 8 the next morning. she is 4 though.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My baby has went to sleep between 8:30 and 10:30 since she was 3 months old. She sleeps til 8am or so, waking once for a feeding.
    ellaura

Answer by ellaura at 3:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• when they are sleepy. you can't put an infant on a schedule. that's why moms are always so tired.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• see i got mine on schedule with no effort lol...he just started going to sleep every night between 730-830pm and wakes up EVERYDAY AT 6AM ...theres no early or late bedtime the baby decides when he sleeps lol thank god mine decided to get on schedule by himself because he didnt go to sleep till 1030-11pm lol good l;uck
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2008