Which do you prefer - in-car GPS or handheld GPS?

Why??

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 6:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Travel

• I prefer the hand-held just for the fact that it is portable and can be swapped from car to car. That way if you go somewhere and take a different car then you always have gps capabilities. Same goes for portable dvd players. Like you are at someone's house and the kids are getting bored they can go out to the car and get them and bring them in and be entertained as opposed to being limited to only watching them in the car. Dont get me wrong, they are nice to have already installed in the car but I am an overplanner. lol
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My DH has an in-dash, and I did in my last SUV. When I traded mine in, I didn't get an in-dash - I prefer the handheld (as does my DH). The in-dash in our cars (GM products) wouldn't allow you to change directions on the fly, and we would routinely lose signal. We bought a fairly cheap Magellan, and it works 3x as well as the in dash. My new truck has onstar directions as well, which is a great feature! (They've helped me locate stores, etc. with a quick phone call!).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Handheld...you can change directions as you are moving, you can upgrade them on the computer and you can move them from one car to the next where as the in-car models - if they screw up - you have purchase an entire new unit for the car if is isn't under warranty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• In the car GPS we just got ours it's great
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I've never even seen one... LOL... then again, I don't believe I have ever gotten lost or had a need for one...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• neither i prefer maps

sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010