my mom and i need help with my brother.

im 23 and my baby brother is 7 and i have always been close i helped my mom raise him, and now he is in 1st grade the second time around he got retained last yr for not doing his work my mom went in with him for couple of days his dad did also and so did i. and this year its the same thing he hates school doesnt wanna talk about it, refuses to do his work in class he just says he doesnt want to talk about it period.

Snavarro08

Asked by Snavarro08 at 7:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• he bonds with me more than my other brother who is 21 and i pick him up because my mom and his dad are working and i ask how his day was and he will talk about his friends but when it comes to hsi behavior or work he wont talk. i started to pick him up because before our grandmother would and he took advantage and would leave his work or backpack in class.
    Snavarro08

Comment by Snavarro08 (original poster) at 7:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• how do you flunk 1st grade?

I'd look into specialized teaching and maybe getting an IEP with the school.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• he flunked 1st because he didnt do his work and he flat out would tell the teacher, he transfered to the school in october, to where he is now which is in edinburg tx down south of san antonio his school before was in baton rouge la and my mom had no problems he was on ab honor roll. a counsler here thinks he has add and tht my mom should consider meds my doesnt want to because she doesnt think his age should be drugged.
    Snavarro08

Comment by Snavarro08 (original poster) at 7:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• is he being bullied.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 8:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• he might just be acting out since you said that he did great in his old school. It might just be his form of rebeling. You should sit down and talk to him and see if he is unhappy at school and see what he wants to do about it.
    mommyof4cutekid

Answer by mommyof4cutekid at 8:27 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Talk with the school, maybe he needs a tutor.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Talk to his teacher. You all need to decide on an action plan to help this little guy. Get the school psychologist involved too. He is too young to go without help. I wish you all the best.

One more idea.........when my youngest was in jr high he didn't want to do homework. I had him write down the assignments (or write down that there was no assignment) and he had to get the teacher to sign everyday. Then I could see what was expected and that the homework got done. Now, this is different than the day to day work your brother has in school, but just an example how I worked with the teacher to get the work done. My son ended up loving some of his classes. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:10 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Is he bored? I know that sounds weird, but have you had him tested to see if he is above average intelligence? A friend of mine's son was behaving this way, they found out he was truly gifted. Once his classes were adjusted and he was receiving challenging homework, he began doing his homework.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• thats a lot of change... but at 1st grade? who is the parent here? if he refuses to do the classwork than there needs to be some sort of negative recourse for him... does he do home work? i think that there is some sort of dicipline issue here... sounds like there are maybe a few too many people involved in his schooling... ONE or TWO parents need to be in charge, ensure that he is acting properly and doing his homework... sounds like he is getting away with murder due to a family situation and move...
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree on an IEP and special ed services. It sounds like he needs some intervention and help on the school's level as well as at home.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010