Do We Sound Rent-Worthy?

My husband, my brother in law, and myself (along with my 6 year old son) are looking to rent a place. We are first time renters, we have never been out on our own...so we have no rental history.

My husband has fair credit. My brother in law has okay credit. I have not so good credit because of ONE missed payment on my car...it got lost in the mail and they still reported me.

However, I am a SAHM right now. My husband and my brother in law both got new jobs and they both make $3000 a month. The rent is $1550/month.

I just submitted our applications last night, about 4 hours after viewing the place. We love it. I did notice another family come in right after us (a big 6-7 member family).

Do you think that we sound approvable to rent? Or should I just move on.

SunshineJJ7

Asked by SunshineJJ7 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

• Keep looking, rule #1 is you never get attached to a house before you are approved because of the potential disappointment.

Now as far as your credit scores as concerned...Your husband should be fine, You will probably need a co-signer (and generally it can not be someone who will be living in the residence with you) your brother I don't know, it depends.

Don't give up on the house that you want, but definitely keep looking. Its hard to find a house with no rental history.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I'd rent to you. You're a smaller family, which is preferable to a landlord...the more people, the more likely for messes and damage. The income is $6000/mo ($3000/mo EACH worker, right?) so your rent is less than 30% of income...that is ideal.

Do *look* because it's not smart to put all your eggs in one basket. But I think you're a very good candidate for this house.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I'm definitely not quitting the search. I'm just wondering if I even have a chance at getting this place.

The realtor was really nice. She gave us our applications and told us not to worry about the application fee until the process was complete. She also doesn't say much....so I can't really read her.

Yes, combined they make $6000 a month.
    SunshineJJ7

Answer by SunshineJJ7 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Can I say around here you would be a shoe in for rent! My mother has rental property. She would kiss the ground you walk on if you rented from her...

We rent. For now... We make about $1500 before taxes... We have a nice house and a high rent. But high rent for here is $500... I can't imagine someone with income like your's getting turned down. But that's here...
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the answers ladies. She emailed me asking for paystubs. I only have my husband's pay stub available right now as they are both new to their jobs, I scanned and sent it to her within 10 minutes of her email. Hopefully, she will se how much we want the place by my determination....or think I'm desperate.
    SunshineJJ7

Answer by SunshineJJ7 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I know around here the landlords are really only interested in knowing if you've had any broken leases, would like a rental history, and if you have first months rent and a deposit in your hand its super hard to turn you down. Good luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008