Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Vbac vs repeat csection????

I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I had to have a csection with my son ( who is 2) because at 9 cm my water broke and his head turned into a weird postion. So I could have delivered vaginally easily if that wouldn't have happened. Now I'm going crazy over the vbac or repeat csection. I want the vbac but I feel no one supports that decision expect for my doctor. I know there are risk and that's whats keeping me from 100% commiting. is there anyone who has went through this? which did you choose and are you happy with that desicion? Please help! I only have until the middle of october to decide!!

Answer Question

Asked by luvsgriffin at 7:44 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 9 (298 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • there is a small % chance that your old c section could tear during delivery, and place you and the baby in danger.. I had a c section w/ my 2 nd child b/c he was to large for me to deliver naturally, w/ my 3 rd child I wanted a vbac but my son was breech w/ the umbilical cord around his neck twice.. Good Luck on whatever you decide and remember its your decision if your Dr will do it and your pregnancy is healthy and baby is in correct position, forget everyone else..

    Answer by hjones101604 at 7:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • If you and your doctor feel it's safe then go with what YOU WANT!!! You may even ask your dr if you can deliver in an OR just in case a situation arises :) Good luck!

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • If your doctor feels a vbac is possible and you want a vbac- then why not go for it? Explain to your family that you want to, your doctor does not see any problems with it and you really would like their (family) support in this. I hope you are able to have the dellivery you want-- good luck!

    Answer by MizLee at 8:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • I've had three sections, the first an emergency and I wish 'd have tried a VBAC with the second. It might seem cray, but I wish I could have done it the normal way. If you doctor is for it (mine wasn't) that is good news. You can just tell your family what you will be doing. It really has nothing to do with them. Is the baby's father/your partner involved and willing to support you? Good luck and congrats in advance.

    Answer by Hazelnutkin at 8:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • My husband is somewhat supportive...He says he will support me with whatever he has just made comments like "if it were me I'd have the c section" he likes the conveince of it and the for sure knowing when he will be here.

    Comment by luvsgriffin (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • if you have already had an "easy" labor to where your body naturally was getting things done id say go w the vbac but if you had any history of trouble go csection for the safety of the baby i dont dialate which cause strong contactions which increases my odds of rupturing so i think everyone is case by case w a vbac .google it and reas up on it and go w what youre comfortable w after talking to your dr about it too

    Answer by Kre10 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • I'm sorry. I'm having the opposite problem right now....I know I want a vbac, my family is very supportive BUT the doctors around here will not do a vbac. Good luck and no matter what you decide, I wish you a good delivery and recovery, and a happy & healthy baby. ;)

    Answer by kksmomma1019 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • I'm sorry to hear that kksmomma. Where are you from? I live in alabama and my doctor is acting excited and says I'm a awesome candidate for the vbac that it is up to me. They said the will monitor me closely the entire time that way if something does start to go wrong they can act immediatly. He told me that most doctors are starting to push for vbacs rather than repeat csections. I didnt know people were having problems getting them

    Comment by luvsgriffin (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • Thanks, that means a lot to me, I've been fighting it since day one. I'm in FL. All I ask is that they at least let me attempt a vbac. I said I just want to try, and of course if it became necessary, then I would do the c-section. Still a no from them. They told me that it's not them but the hospital. They actually said the anasthesiologist(sp I know lol) doesn't want to have to be there all day for a vbac. Oh that's great, I'm supposed to have a major surgery just to not inconvenience soemone else, who'd be getting paid for it. I'm tired of stressing about it. I just don't understand. Maybe I should move to AL and see your doctor lol. Seriously though, your doctor sounds great, you're so lucky!

    Answer by kksmomma1019 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • I think if your doctor thinks you are a good candidate for a VBAC and you really want to do it then go for it. A lot of people still think of C-sections like the old way with the big vertical incisions and there was a might higher risk of compromising the uterus.
    I have one friend who just had a VBAC a few weeks ago and she said she was so glad that she did it.

    Answer by elizabiza at 11:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.