did ur SO/DH go to Iraq/ afganistan and come back very different

did he leave, cheat, become very depressed, try to commit sucide, ect

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 7:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• Yes, we are still dealing with the aftermath as a family :(
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My DH didn't go, but I did. I don't think I came back too different. Just doing my job. I might have a greater appreciaton for life and understanding death more. I do know I took the littlest things for granted like Dr Pepper and a good American baseball game & hot dog.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My husband has not gotten back yet but on R&R he was more committed to being a good husband and father, he wanted to do more family activites and was all about getting in shape and eating healthier.
    momoftatertots

Answer by momoftatertots at 8:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes, he did. It depends on the job and whether they see combat on whether they are changed.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I know some folks that came back very different, but I think the changes were for the better (more appreciative of the little things, more loving, etc.) for everyone but one. One of our friend's sons is in therapy now, he was involved in active combat. He was there for 8 months, he's been home for over a year and has horrible nightmares and is taking anti-depressants.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:27 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My DH wasnt much different...he was jumpy for a while but the only things that really changed about him were how much he appreciated everything in his life so much more...I think it helped that we had our daughter less than a month after he got home.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When I came back, I was withdrawn for about 6 months. I still have bad dreams and horrible insomnia because of where I worked and some of the things I saw. I did one tour in 2004. I finally got help and was put on antidepressants for an already existing depression. I also take sleeping pills.It took me 5 years after getting out of the military to get help though. My husband, on the other hand, was able to pick up where he left off prior to his deployment. His squadron was in a combat area, but they did not see anything.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2010