Have any of you ladies ever had extreme, intense itching all over your body in the last trimester with NO RASH, especially on your hands, feet, and legs? If so, what was your diagnosis (assuming you were lucky enough to get one!)?

I have gone through two pregnancies with this problem, which apparently, is very rare. No one that I know personally has ever had it or heard of anyone who has had it. It occurred only in the last two months with my first pregnancy, but started at the very beginning of the last trimester with my second pregnancy. I am 15 weeks pregnant with my 3rd now, and I am already starting to feel mild itching in my hands, feet, and legs. I know from experience that once it starts, it only gets worse until delivery. My stupid OB was never able to give me any information on this condition, but luckily I have a new doc this time. I have a hunch that I have cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP/OP). Anyone else have any experiences like this?

proud_mommy_87

Asked by proud_mommy_87 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i have bad ithing eveywhere lol and im only 12 weeks dr said lotion lol thats all i got
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• OH MY GOODNESS!
    There is FINALLY someone else who has what I had with my first pregnancy!
    The doctor said it was the PUPPPS rash. Google it. It's VERY rare, like 1 in 50000 preg women get it. AND there is NOTHING they can do for it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• http://dermatology.about.com/cs/pregnancy/a/puppp.htm
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Thanks for your answers, but I have researched PUPPs and it always involves a rash. I've never had one. ICP is even more rare than PUPPs if you can imagine that!
    proud_mommy_87

Answer by proud_mommy_87 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• LOL! Aren't we lucky! LOL! When I had mine, I didn't have a rash just such bad itching, to the point where I was waking in the middle of the night and apparently scratching til I was bloody! LOL! Now you have me scared though, I'm now prego with my second.............PLEASE Don't let me go thru that again! It drove me NUTS the first time around. They gave me benadryl in an IV and still nothing. I wanted to peel my skin off!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Sorry to hear about that! If you did happen to have ICP instead of PUPPs, there is a 90% recurrance rate!!! 90 freakin percent!!! I know what you mean about wanting to peel your skin off! I wanted to die. There's NOTHING like the feeling of wanting to get away from your own skin that bad! BTW, Benadry never helped me either, as well as anything else I tried. I did my own research out of sheer desperation.
    proud_mommy_87

Answer by proud_mommy_87 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• yes! i did. no diagnosis. the doctor told me to take zyrtec. it didnt work. i think stretched out skin just gets itchy. i just tried to use lotion and not wear clothes that rub!
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 2:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My Doc gave me Zyrtec as well. No help from that. I think too many doctors aren't aware of rare conditions like ICP! It makes me mad!
    proud_mommy_87

Answer by proud_mommy_87 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• OMG....I'm so glad to hear that it wasn't just me....it started with my 3rd trimester...I never got a diagnosis though, they just told me to take oatmeal baths which didn't help at all!
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My friend had this but it was on her whole body, but the doc said ti doesnt have to be on the whole body. First he said it was PUPPS so they did a blood test and stuff and it turned out her liver wasnt filtering out her blood enough and it started leaking blood. Which was "poisioning" her body....

but i have also read that itchy hands legs and feet is fine but a little rare. i also read that not much helps it... try not to scratch your legs though you dont want stretch marks .. or if u dont care scratch away lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008