labor keeps starting, but wont continue. is this normal?

well i was told to expect a baby at my 37 week mark during a early ultrasound, well at 36 weeks i started having what most peeple call braxton hicks, i guess and i was 2 cm and 50%. at my 37 week visit doc told me i was 4cm and 75% and baby was really low, and i had already lost all mucus plug, she actually said "i dont know why your still pregnant" i thought was a joke but now im starting to think somethings wrong. well at 37 week visit she told me baby would be here in next 24hours. well that was a week ago and im 2 days from being 39 weeks, could there be something wrong? i have regular contractions start out like 14min and go to about 5min apart, very regular, but after they hit that 5 min mark they start to taper off. i dont understand? i have so much pressure in my pelvic area i literally cant hardly walk, im starting to think this baby is stuck, or too big to fit threw? my first son was born at 37 weeks, with no problem

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 8:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This is called prodromal labor and is normal and ok. There is something called the alignment plateau. This means you will contract and have start and stop labor until baby is in the perfect position to be born. Think of it this way, the longer this happens and the more you dilate, the shorter active labor will be. My last baby was an unassisted birth, and I had this happen on occasion. My active labor was 2 hours and she was born in two pushes. She was almost 10lbs. So long as you and baby are healthy don't worry about it. Baby will come when ready.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 12:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If they baby was too big it wouldnt stop your contractions, your baby just isnt ready yet.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would say baby isn't ready yet either but I don't want to give the wrong advice. If I were you, I'd hang out at the hospital for the next week or so.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Why do you seem concerned that your baby is going full term? It's actually healthier for a baby to be born closer to term. Doctors don't usually show much concern for the health of the baby as far as being inside too long until well past the 40th week. That is around the time the placenta loses it's effectiveness at providing the baby with the proper nutrients. My little girl was born two days before her due date. I didn't think she would ever come. But she has been the healthiest baby born in my family this year. Me and both my sisters had babies this year. Both of theirs were born about 3 weeks early. My youngest sis was in the same boat as you for awhile. She was contracting and dilating but actual labor didn't start. They induced due to toxemia but had it not been for this issue she would have continued on with the pregnancy. Although it may be uncomfortable for you, your baby will come when the time is right.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well from a ultrasound im actually 3 weeks further so when i say im almost 39 weeks they are calling it almost 42 weeks babys already over 8lbs now, thats what worries me. my mother had this problem with 3 babies and had to have c-sections. but i dont understand why my first came with no problems and this one just feels stuck?
    mrsaustin271

Comment by mrsaustin271 (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't know, but I will say that my first was born at at 38 weeks, 7 1/2 lbs and 21 in and my second didn't come until 40 weeks and 3 days, she was 8 lbs but she lost a lot of weight and both babies left the hospital at the same size. Also ultrasounds aren't always right so your baby may not be that big and if the baby is that big, some babies are just bigger. My 3rd baby didn't come until 41 weeks and 3 days, he was over 9 lbs. I was one day away from being induced when he was born. He was a little harder to push out, but otherwise it wasn't any worse. I've had a friend be in and out of labor like you, she finally had a 10 lb baby at 42 weeks, and when her baby came he came fast! I don't know, I don't think there is anything wrong, but I've never been walking around at 4 cm dilated and I know that would make me nervous. At what point are they willing to induce you?
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my doctor told me we would discuss inducing if i made it to my next appt, which is in 2 days. she also said she wouldnt expect me to still be pregnant then eather. i really want the baby to come out naturally though, but i dont want something to be wrong with my body, and hurt the baby. thanks for all the comments!! :)
    mrsaustin271

Comment by mrsaustin271 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ok. well that makes much more sense as to why you are worried :) I will be praying for you and your stubborn little bundle of joy that is just trying to keep mommy waiting! Good luck mommy! Keep us posted!!
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What you are experiencing is totally normal. I experienced stop-and-start labor for weeks before I went into full blown labor with two out of my four pregnancies.
    I hate it when docs say things about how soon they think you will have your baby. The midwife I had with my 3rd baby told me at all my last 5 appointments that she didn't think I'd make it until my next appt. Also, don't worry about baby being late or too big. In the vast, vast majority of pregnancies, baby will not stay in too long or get too big to get out. Your body knows what it is doing.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i didnt read the other answers so im prob repeating stuff but THIS IS VERY NORMAL...no one told me about it either! so frustrating but PLEASE try to be patient and not use induction or any other un-natural methods if you dont have to...when baby is ready, baby will come! i feel for you!!! i just went through this 8 weeks ago and its hell but you will be fine i promise!! gL!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2010