Our 1 year old isn't growing....any thoughts?

He hasn't grown length wise in over 4 months, and has only gained about a half a pound. He is in the 3% for his heighth & 5% on weight. He eats like a piglet, more than his 3 year old brother. We have had test upon tests done, and I think they are clueless. They told us his thyroid levels were elevated & put him on Synthroid. We went to Children's Mercy yesterday, and were told... "It could be his thyroid, it could be growth hormone, or it could be cystic fibrosis". Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Anything would help...we just feel helpless.

adamsmom324

Asked by adamsmom324 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My son failed to grow well, too, and his problem was an inability to absorb specific nutrients from the foods he ate, so we supplemented him with a special formula prescribed by the GI.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• After a year, my son did not gain a pound for over six months. But I never felt that I needed medical attention for it because he was eating, very active and not getting sick very often. I decided that his growth rate had slowed way down and unless there were other signs that something was not right, I would wait and see. I did start giving him a nutritional drink each night, but it did not make a difference in his growth. Now he is almost two and is finally hitting a growth spurt.
    jrb920

Answer by jrb920 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• They did the same to my oldest son. Both my boys (one is now 7, the other is 2 and a half) are not even on the growth chart. My oldest hit 17lbs at 9 months old. his growth came to a standstill. He was tested for all the above, even cystic fibrosis. Everything negative. (side note; Cystic Fibrosis is a recessive trait. BOTH parents have to carry the CF gene for the child to get the disease. So if no one in your family has had CF, AND no one in dh family has had CF I would not even bother testing. My ds screamed bloody murder the whole time he was tested. Its a sweat test. You can also lick him. CF kids have very salty skin) Are you, or your family small? I'm only 5ft. My aunts, uncles, are all between 4'9 and 5'5. If your family is small, don't worry. My 7 year old weighs 36 lbs. He is perfectly healthy. My 2 y/o weighs 22 lbs.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2008