Do you give you child a birthday party every year or just milestones birthdays?

Growing up, I had a birthday party every year until I was 21. Now that I have a child, she's 3 now, I want to do the same with her. Her father on the other hand doesn't think we need to have a big party every year, just on her milestone birthdays, which are the 1st, 5th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 18th. She has had a party on her 1st and 3rd birthday. On her 2nd birthday we just had cake and ice cream.

TiphaniMommy

Asked by TiphaniMommy at 8:27 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• We do a family gathering for my osn's birthday each year so far. he is 7. eventually when he starts having friends at school we will do actual party parties. but at the moment that might be another year or two. he is delayed
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• we only did in kindergarten when everyone was your friend. After that it was just family and eventually just Dad and me were there for them, so not as much but we try to make it as special as we can. In some cases the Autism blinds them to how few friends they actually have, which is probly good.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I believe every year is a milestone!
    outofmymind26

Answer by outofmymind26 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Every year. I never realized how many parents didn't do at least some kind of celebration. I feel really bad for those kids.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with Gulfcoastmom. Birthdays happen every year (except for leap-year babies...) and the event of your birth should be celebrated every year. That doesn't mean you need a huge party. (I only had two birthday parties growing up. Once when I was 8, and the other when I turned 16, because those were the years it meant a lot to me to have one, and my family wasn't very well off but we always had cake, icecream, and a couple gifts.) family gettogethers with cake, icecream, and gifts are sufficient. My son has had a party the past two years (he's three) and he's having two parties this year, one with family, and one with friends, since our place is too small to invite them all at once. the family thing will just be cake, icecream and gifts, the friends party I'm going all out with decorations and everything, since this will be his last party without a sibling (it will be harder for us to afford parties from now on..)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Every year is a milestone. Why would he want to take away one of the super fun things of being a kid? Having a party doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, but it is really sad for the kids whose parents don't do something special for them. I see a lot of kids in the school who don't get a special anything for their birthday from their parents, I take special treats and a little gift for all of my kiddos on their birthdays (or 1/2 birthdays for my summer ones who won't be at school - we do "unbirthday" parties for those kids).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• every year for soon to be all 5 of them!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• WHen you have 8 children like me, birthdays can get very expensive. So, we celebrate every year with our family - which in itself is a party - then on the milestone birthdays we have a big party where the kids invite friends! They look forward to it and love it! Kids these days have way too much "stuff" and don't need anymore!
    Skavswife

Answer by Skavswife at 10:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• For me, we do a small family party for most years, the mile stone years they can invite friends and do a bigger party. That is me. My SIL thinks I am stupid for doing this, and she chooses to do a big shebang every year for every child (she has 5, 3 of which celebrate their bdays in August). To each their own.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 1:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Between his family and mine if we all had parties for each kid on each bday, we would be at one at least 4 times a month...no time for all that, so we just do the biggies.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010