I'm helping my boyfriend's daughter...

get a job at my company. She's fresh out of college and there is this great entry level position that I'm helping her get. He and I have been together awhile and get along great. But yesterday when I told him about this great opportunity and mentioned that her relationship with me will help her to get noticed if she does a good job, he says: "Yeah but what if you and I break up?" I just quickly responded that I like his daughter in her own right and that my relationship with her is because I think a lot of her. But later I got to thinking - WTF.. is he thinking we are not going to be together??? Why would he say this. We have a great relationship emotionally, sexually, intellectually. I don't get it. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• I agree with you WTF... in the back of one's mind it could be a consideration, but to verbalize? That's concerning, it's a forethought rather than a dismissive random 'hey, her job's secure if we aren't" type of thing... I don't like it. Though, maybe he is insecure, and needed to here some supportive "oh handsome, that isn't something I'd worry about?" You know him... Don't jump him on it if he could have just needed reassurance, stroke of ego stuff.. again though, you know him.
    notjustamom380

Answer by notjustamom380 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• He's worried that if you and he don't work out that you'll sabotage his daughter's job. I'd have to guess that this guy has had experience with whack-job chicks in his past. It's not necessarily that he's thinking about breaking up, but rather he's using his experiences to worry about his daughter's future.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Yeah, well his whack-job ex wife who dumped after having an affair he never suspected. He is very naive in relationships and so you are probably right in that he had very poor judgement with his ex not seeing the divorce coming.
    Anonymous

• he's just worried about his daughter future
    DiddlesMom777

Answer by DiddlesMom777 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i think he is just worried about his daughter's future but you kind of have to wonder why would he say what if we break up i mean it would make me think he has been thinking about it.
    jaydensmom1205

Answer by jaydensmom1205 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think you need to ask him the same questions you wrote in your post...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i think you best get yourself married if you have all that going on. why not, right? he is just being precious about his daughter. i wouldn't say anything but maybe see why you guys haven't thought of marriage.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You told him that her relationship with you will help get her noticed. He's probably just thinking that if you have the power to help her, what kind of power would you have to hurt her if you guys broke up? I think he's just considering what could happen to his daughter in a worst case scenario, b/c he cares about her and doesn't want her put in a precarious situation.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2008