What are the good sides to your kid's having Autism, Aspie, ADHD, etc?

For mine, there's still an air of innocence and naitivity. It blinds him from realizing how few friends he has, or how people see him when he's behaving oddly or rambling on about things they don't care about.

not picking up on social cues is something we are working on, but in a way it helps him not get his feelings hurt as well, since he's not picking up on it like everyone else does.

He happily assumes everyone is in agreement with him, is into what he has to say and that everyone likes being around him. If he realized the truth it would be hurtful. He's more-or-less avoided by his peers and teased and he doesn't realize it but we see it all the time.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Pretty much what you said. Dealing with the frustrations daily is difficult him and I alike. another plus is his single minded dedication to learning about things that interest him. He gets to in to science shows and learns SOOO much.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• His hugs and kisses are the best since he went the 1st 2 1/2 years of his life refusing to be hugged or kissed. Now he'll even give them out every now and then. I love it! I also love watching the brother/sister relationship develop between him and my 5 month old. He loves playing with her and he doesn't care much for playing with others. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• with my DS, he works SOOOOO hard and never gives up. he's a momma's boy so he tends to shadow me when he's home and it's cute. also one of the best things is because he tries so hard and he gets something. or just pops out with something it's so amazing. like today was the first time he got on the school bus that he turned around and looked at me and said "bye bye mommy!" i almost cried my eye's out right there! i think the good things are is that things that are so simple can mean so much
    RaeTy

Answer by RaeTy at 9:35 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The best good side thing for me is it makes it easier for me to understand my children. Since I have autism too I see the world like they do so it is easier for me to relate to them and help them out with the problems they have.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I've noticed ADHD kids, even though distractable, have the ability to focus on the smallest of details and have total recall of events from memory.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when they are little thats cute, I agree. After 7 yrs straight of it, its get unnerving. We want our kids to grow and become independent, too
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2010