how to make oatmeal more aesthetically appealing?

My son just isnt a fan of oatmeal. I eat it too so I KNOW it's good lol. I usually flavor it wth brown sugar or with cinnamon and decorate it with sliced apples. When I was younger I remember the oatmeal packets that had "dinosaur eggs" which opened up and because a dinosaur when exposed to the hot oatmeal. They tasted sweet and made it fun to eat. I havent seen that in years! If your child wasnt eating their oatmeal, what did you do to make it more appealing? I've tried blueberries, which he loves, but he just took them out as if the oatmeal was ruining them lol. He loves oatmeal cookies and muffins.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Fruit in the oatmeal is what comes to mind. I added a tiny amount of sugar and some cinnamon. On a cold morning that warm bowl of oatmeal is especially appealing.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• add a dab of food coloring to change the color, or sprinkle jimmies on it, or raisins, or something like that. GL.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ya put the stuff on top and let him mix it in, that way it looks appealing at first site
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:43 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• hmmm raisins is a good idea!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I just make oatmeal muffins.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:44 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well like I've said, I tried fruit, like blueberries and he just took them out one by one. so fruit wont work. I want him to eat the actual oatmeal lol.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I make it the same all the time, and tell our boys it has a secret ingredient.. They think it's yummy, and fun trying to figure out the secret ingredient. I make it like normal, then add real butter, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar, then right before I give it to them I add a little milk to cool it down. I know it doesn't sound like anything fancy but our boys love it, so I usually stick with what works...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• For cinnamon oatmeal, we add raisins. Other oatmeal we add frozen fruit to......one because it cools the oatmeal off fast for him, and two because it becomes mushy(so he can't pick it out) and flavors the entire bowl. Good luck. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 8:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I used to mix apple sauce into my kids oatmeal. What about sprinkling some colored cookie decorating sugars or sprinkles on it?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:37 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Maybe he thinks the texture is icky. Personally I won't touch the stuff, I think it is so nasty.... but my son loves it! They still make the dino oatmeal, we have some!
    You could try a swirl of jam on top... that would be cool.
    Sometimes I add fruits to my son's... he like banana oatmeal the most.... or cinnamon apples
    Try playing with the texture... my son likes his oatmeal thick... if it's runny he won't eat it.
    I haven't tried this, but I bet it would be a hit... try a dab of peanut butter and jelly (I might do that for his breakfast this morning and see how he likes it)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:48 AM on Sep. 13, 2010