can i take my kids to the pto meeting at school?

my daughter is 5 and in kindergarten.the teacher sent home a paper for pto for people to join/volunteer.we did. the first meeting is today for about a hr we are going to go but we will have to take the kids with us.5yr old daughter and 3 month old son,just wondering if this is ok?anyone know or done it?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that anywhere that parents take their children, whether to PTO/A meetings, the grocery store, or a restaurant, etc., it's their responsibility to make make sure that their child behaves appropriately & to remove them from the situation if they become disruptive to other people.

Clearly not all parents are responsible & do this, but PTO/A meetings are for our CHILDREN. We are dying to get parents to participate in their child's education, we want them to contribute to their child's school & to support the education system....which desperately needs parental & community support. In the 50's & 60's most mom's stayed home & had a friend, neighbor, sister, or mother that was also home and willing to watch their children so they could be room mother's, work on school fundraisers or volunteer in their child's classroom. This is no longer the case. if we want parents to participate, we need to make it easy for them to help.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• At our PTO meetings, there are occasionally kids there, but it's really not a place for kids. (They get bored and can be disruptive.) I don't take mine.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:00 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My school has supervised playtime for school aged children in the gym... otherwise I wouldn't take them. I tried taking my toddler once but she was too disruptive.
    jjjjsmom

Answer by jjjjsmom at 1:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• PTO is usually not for kids, they do not let you give your undivided attentions to what is being discussed
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 4:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's not really a place for kids. I've been at these meetings and the kids are often disruptive, making the meeting 1- drag out longer and 2 - an unpleasant experience for everyone. (too many unpleasant experiences and PTO's lose volunteers)
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 5:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Our PTO offers child care, call the school and see if yours does.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:00 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it's OK for just an hour's meeting. You can leave if you need to. They will be thankful you want to volunteer.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:01 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I asked my local PTO president if children were welcome (as mine too is 5 and in Kindergarten) and if most parents bring their kids. I was told children are welcome and that some do bring their kids. So now I won't feel bad about bringing mine. I also have a three year old. I would think that it would be understood if you brought your children.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 9:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it's okay if you bring them, as long as they aren't disruptive to the meeting. After all it's a meeting about and for kids, and your PTO should just appreciate parents that want to contribute and be involved in their child's school. If they get bored or disruptive, you might want to take them outside for a little while, and go back in at the end to sign up as a volunteer.

Have a great time! As a former PTA President, thank you for being a volunteer!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Our PTO meetings are Friday mornings and my daughter is in preschool...which our school has from Monday-Thursday. So if I want to attend a meeting, I have to take her. I figure if they want me, they need to put up with her. There are other kids at the meetings too and us moms just bring things to keep our little ones occupied during the meeting.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2010