My child just turned 2 and isnt talking

liljeccaria24

Asked by liljeccaria24 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine will be 3 in may and she is still not talking either. we had her hearing tested. everything is good. next they are going to refer her to speech therapy. she only says dad and sit( as in sit for the dogs) some other words but not sure if she is actually saying them or just sound like them. first thing to do is get the hearing check out. some kids take longer to talk and one day just talk up a storm. tell her dr when you go in if they don't already ask.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Have her availuated by the state...My daughter had help through the state of NJ (no fee to me) for 1 1/2 years and she now goes to Pre K in the town I live in. The state gets her into the Pre K because she is considered special needs..Don't wait on this because (in NJ) the state will do in house therepy until the child turns 3.
    Anonymous

• My son who is going to be 2 1/2 JUST started talking. His words are not clear yet but he copies what you say...it all started one day. I had hi  m evaluated by the state and everything.  Also I had to go back to work, he spends his days  with my mom.  He got really into the baby Einstein's mainly just the numbers and animals one. But I do believe that that's where he picked it up. He counts to 10 using his fingers as well and knows most of the alphabet.  *this has all happened in the last month*  I know that it worries you but they will come around, you just got to find what makes them tick!

4nickrick

Answer by 4nickrick at 3:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• there are early intervention programs in every state that can help. they can set you up with hearing tests, speech therapists, whatever your little one needs & it's free! they come out to evaluate your child & go from there. it's only from birth to 3 years, though, so call soon. call your local health dept & they can tell you who to contact.

my daughter has benefited a lot from the early intervention program in our state. she's had physical therapy, speech therapy & lots of other support. i can't say enough good things about them!
    cpyrrha

Answer by cpyrrha at 4:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2008