Bowel movements during labor. TMI sensitive.

Ok so I am so worried to poop while I am giving birth.
I will be so embarrassed and my boyfriend will make fun of me.
I plan on having an epidurl. What can I do to prevent a bm while I deliver?
Will a edema make it all come out all at once right away, or is it like a Laxative where it takes awhile to kick in and lasts for like 30 min - a hour??

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 2:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I never pooped... And when I needed to about 2 hours later I wished I had... I had an epedural too and it never made me go. The nurses won't care and truthfully if it does happen you won't feel it because of the epedural and your boyfriend is an ass if the onlything he is worried about is your poop when you are trying to squeeze his child out... Besides they kind of expect you too so they are all set up for it... when and if it happens they just swoop it away and that's it... Don't worry...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i was nervous too. so i just told my hubby that it might happen and we joked about it together. i ended up having an emergency c-section anyways. i think there is something they can give you, ask your doctor.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 2:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You wont CARE! I was feeling so much pressure down there and with pushing something is bound to come out. With my first I don't remember it happening but with my second I saw them clean me and whisk it away. ICK It was gross but my hubby was much more focused on me and this new life that he didn't notice that. Its funny how people think its a big deal but trust me sweetie in the moment you won't care.
    zionsmom1

Answer by zionsmom1 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Most labor starts with loose bowel movements, so it is entirely possible you will clear everything before you even start to deliver. Some doctors/hospitals/birthing centers whatever will allow for an enema, but some won't. It is an unneccesary procedure anymore, so a lot consider it as bringing in more bacteria and contaminates than need be. Discuss it with your doctor and see what he says.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i agree with mom1stepmom1.

I had very loose bowels the couple days before. I was cleaned out :)

and besides, even if it happens, the nurses will have you cleaned up before you probably even notice, as the bowel movements happen while pushing and they can't risk it getting near baby.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Ive had two kids and did not have a bowel movement during birth but im going to tell you now that your not going to care when ur giving birth. But if you do it's not a big deal just laugh about it thats all you can do hun. Good luck
    Anonymous

• Is your boyfriend so much of a child that he will make you feel bad for doing something that happens naturally during delivery? What an ass.
    Anonymous

• I was worried about the exact same thing!! My husband was such a sweetie about it. He told me beforehand that that would be the last thing that I should be worrying about and that nobody would say anything because he was sure it was something they saw a hundred times before. Luckily it didn't happen to me. However, it did happen to my best friend and she said that they just swept it away and she didn't even know that it happened, and didn't know it happened because her husband was so nice about it he didn't tell her until about a month later when she asked him about it! If your bf makes a big deal about it, he is mean!
    Anonymous

• It is a very embarrassing thought for a first time mom. You'll just have to trust the veterans on this-- it won't matter a bit to you once you are in labor...lol! There will be so much else on your mind, and you will be focusing on getting your beautiful baby out! Nurses and docs are so used to it that it doesn't bother them- it happens all the time! Just have a chat with your boyfriend and let him know that it is normal and it happens. If you are pushing correctly, sometimes you just can't help it! Also, pre-labor symptoms often include loose BMs and that just might be enough to prevent one while pushing. Good luck!
    proud_mommy_87

Answer by proud_mommy_87 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I went before I got in bed, and before I got the epidural. After you get the epidural, you can't get up to go to the bathroom, so I highly suggest you BM before you get that ok :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2008