Your favorite "Mom Trick"

Is there one thing that you've learned throughout your years as a mother that makes your job a little bit easier, or is a little trick of the trade?

Could be a household item that will remove any kind of stain. Sure fire way to not have spills in the care. A new way to get your child to eat their veggies. The go-to way to motivate your child to get ready for bed......

Anything. Share your knowledge, Mommys!

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have picky veggie eaters so i mix baby food carrots or sweet potatos in my spaghetti sauce. Secondly, I find rountine is sometimes tough to follow but helps with bedtime. Even if you don't get kids to bed at an exact time each night ya right :) do rountine. I.E. Homework, Shower, Snack//TV, Nite prayers...bed. Hope this helps :)
    AvonMom247

Answer by AvonMom247 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my potatoe peeler!
    I use my potatoe peeler to slice raw carrots, potatoes, celery etc into thin *chips* for my son to eat raw. He loves it and it gets veggies into him
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ooh, I love the idea of slicing carrots into "chips" to get him to eat them...maybe that'll work with mine! Thanks!

As far as tricks....I've learned that wipes are a Godsend. I carry wipes with me everywhere. They'll clean juice out of a shirt (don't do it on white because it does turn yellowish.) clean coffee off a dashboard, clean dirt off hands, and faces, as well as the necessary cleaning up after a messy diaper. I recommend every car owner keep wipes in the glovebox, and that every mom carry a pack of them wherever you go, you never know what mess is waiting to happen.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Ziplock bags. I refuse to just throw diapers into a diaper bag, because they get squished and dirty. You can't just throw wipes in there and I refuse to buy those individual travel packages at the store. Therefore, when I buy my wipes in bulk I throw a big stack in a zip lock bag. Then I put those and a few diapers in a gallon zip lock and toss it into the diaper bag.

For formula fed babies I found that the two smallest sizes of the Rubbermaid Lock lid tuperware are perfect for carrying formula. Even snacks, though now I've switched to ziplock bags for those. The formula stays fresh, and isn't tossed all over the bag when the can accidentially opens.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my dd is formula fed...whenever i go anywhere, i make sure i have a bottle with the right amount of water in it, and a small ziploc bag with the right amount of formula powder in it...then when i need to make a bottle i just tear the corner of the ziploc bag off with my teeth and funnel the powder into the bottle...shake it up and its ready to go...i realize im prob not the first to think of this but im a first time Mommy and i was pretty proud of myself ; )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I found that making baby food and baby wipes saves us tons of $$ so I make my own. Also when making that babyfood you can get more of a variaty (sp?) and if you puree it and dump in icecube trays to freeze them the keep for a good while. and the icecube's are the perfect serving size.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• lovemybaby283....u reminded me, i forgot, i also make my own wipes! half a roll of bounty paper towels (i use a large bread knife to saw the roll in half) , 2 cups warm water, 2 tbsp baby iol, and 2 tbsp baby wash, all in a tupperware like container to hold it all...pull the wipes from the middle of the roll...oh and remove the cardboard core of the roll first : )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Boredoux butt paste!!! I LOVE That stuff!! Dd was born with HUGE fat rolls on her neck, arms, legs... and they would get wet and nasty and start stinky. That stuff clears it up in a day.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010