How do I get my toddler to sleep through the night?

My 20 month old use to sleep through the night, but here within the past couple of months, he's been waking up multiple times a night. MOST of the time, he will just lay in bed, with his eyes closed, and whine. Some nights, he gets out of bed. Even when he doesn't get out of bed, it still wakes me up and I end up going in his room. I've tried waiting 5 minutes or so before going in there, but this kid will whine for an hour if I let him. I'm not understanding why he is still waking up. He is up for enough hours during the day, he's on a schedule .. he should be tired and sleep through the night. Is this normal at this age? What should I do? - just ignore him, even if he gets out of bed? I'm losing my mind. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and am literally getting NO sleep. Please help.

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm I'm not sure why he is waking up- could be a nightmare, or anxiety (over change with a new baby coming), he could be scared of the dark or of 'monsters'. I would try talking to him and see if he has a reason why he is waking up and being whiny. Does he have a pet that could go and sleep with him? Does he sleep with a favorite item? Would a night light help? My middle was not a good sleeper- he was scared of the dark so I put a night light in his room and he slept with his favorite comfort item every night. One thing I would do before bed is spray 'monster spray' (aka air freshener or one of my body sprays) in his room to keep the 'monsters' at bay and to bring on good dreams. We also had a huge tabby cat so my son would take the cat to bed and the cat would 'protect' him from everything that "goes bump in the night."
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Is he cold or hot? I know that is part of the reason why my 23m DS wakes up. That or he is scared. Does he have a lovey that you could give him to sleep with? I'm not much help DS sometimes still wakes up in the early early morning (think 4a) and comes to my room to sleep. I usually let him b/c I am so tired. Hope you figure something out.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010