My 9-year old daughter gets nervous prior to taking tests in school, she is an A student and is finding the workload in 4th grade to be more difficult, she has even made herself sick worrying about her grades, we have talked to her about relaxing, and just concentrating on doing her best, but she still worries, any suggestions?

magmom1999

Asked by magmom1999 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• you could have her talk to the school social worker/counselor. They will tell her that while grades are important, she shouldn't be making herself sick over them. They can probably help her balance a routine. If she's not comfortable talking to anyone else, maybe you could sit down with her and make a calendar to schedule events like homework after school from 5-7, etc. I think that may make her feel better. I hope this helps!
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My middle child, who is also in 4th grade, is the same way. We talk to him everyday about how he just needs to do his best and not to worry. He would become so upset we could not even talk to him so we got him this book called "Don't Feed the Monster on Tuesday". There is a whole series of these books and they teach children how to control there feelings.

We also have paper that has a bag pictured on it. He writes all his negative or bad thoughts on this bag. Then he rips it up and throws it away. like he is throwing his worries away.

I talk to his teachers every year and explain that they do not need to put pressure on him because he puts enough on himself. We have a councilor at the school and if he needs to he can go and talk to her.

Good Luck and if you have any questions just send me a message.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I say let's introduce her to my 4th grade son who doesn't give a rat's a**& about grades and just goes to school for lunch and recess maybe they could rub some of their ideas about school off on one another LOL So as you can see I have the opposiite challenge! Is your daughter involved in other activities beside school ie: scooer, piano, etc... how does she handle these activities. Maybe is she just a type A personality?Maybe a few counseling session for her (and you)would help, if not her then you by letting you know that she is OK?!?! Good Luck and for the intro just write me LMAO J
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• mine was the same way almost if she didn't get it all right she wouldn't bring it home i keep telling her that if she was perfect and new everything she wouldn"t be in that grade
    Anonymous