I need some tips on how to potty train my 3 year old

my 3 year old does really good on the potty except the whole pooping thing she waits until she is done before she says anything.. i have been told to let her go at her own pace she will start when she is ready, but i really need her to be potty trained diapers are expensive, and i have 2 younger daughters as well.. ive used the reward system, and praising her but nothing seems to work. any advice???

mommyofthree33

Asked by mommyofthree33 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to switch her over to regular panties and tell her what a big girl she is now not a baby like her sisters. She now is mommies helper and praise her in front of her sisters (even if they do not understand) After she poops in panties a few times she will not like the feeling because it is a lot different than diapers. Yes yucky to clean up but worth it in the end.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 9:44 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Switch her to regular panties to make her feel like a "big girl" instead of a baby like her younger sisters, and when she poops in the panties she has to be responsible for cleaning it out. This was the only way I found to stop my 4 year old twins from pooping in their panties.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with the big girl panties. Also make her feel like a big girl when she goes in the potty, make a huge deal out of it /7 tell her sisters what a big girl she is because she goes poop in the potty.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i agree, normal panties... no more undies... and talk to her about why she won't poop on the toilet... is she scared? if so then let her "watch" you go... have her in there and let her see what you "did" and she will know that it's not scary...
    honestly it's just another power struggle... she can control WHERE she goes and she knows that it gets your attention...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Reward. Get excited when she does go!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would ask her every half hr after she eats nd drinks, If she has to use the potty.Let her pick out her panties and tell her she's a big girl now!! If you remind her to use the toilet she will be excited to wear big girl panties. My son learned in 2 wks and loves to buy new underwear. People say girls learn faster but I have all boys..Good Luck!!
    lasmilez

Answer by lasmilez at 4:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A friend of mine had the cashier at the store tell her daughter she was to big to wear diapers/pull ups, it worked for them. I gave my little boy mini candy bars when he pooped in the potty!!!
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010