would you take it as a sign of disrespect if your dh showed up late?

say you two decided to meet at 10:30 the next morning, and he did not show up until practically 11:30...how would that make you feel? and people say "you have to pick your battles" is that one you'd fight?

pmg1030

Asked by pmg1030 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I guess it would depend on why he was late, if he let me know he was running behind, and if this was something he did often. There have been times when my DH has left the office late or got tied up in something, I don't think that's a sign of disrespect at all - he's just busy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:38 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• hmm maybe i was too hard on him then lol thanks scuba
    pmg1030

Comment by pmg1030 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If it was a one time thing I would ask him why he was so late. Then if it was not a good reason I would tell him that we agreed on 10:30, and I was NOT happy to be kept waiting. If he is always late, then I would tell him an earlier time then when I plan to show up. (like tell him 10am and then I plan on showing up at 10:30).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:41 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My husband is always home late when he goes golfing.... but otherwise on time. I have learned to not plan anything with him after golf.

For your question, it would depend on why he was late. And if this is a pattern.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 9:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• it would depend on how often this happened - if it were a one-time only thing, i would ask him why he was late adn why he didn't call to tell me he was going to be late - depending on his answers, all might be good - if it were a common thing, i think the 2 of you should sit down and have a talk about respecting each other and being on time for meetings or dinners is one show of respect ....
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well it's tough to determine if it's a pattern because we don't meet out in public very often. we usually just see each other at home and then go places together. but he is definitely lacking a sense of urgency. whenever we are going anywhere together, he's always running behind. i don't like being late. in this case, yesterday, we were going to the titans game in down town nashville and i work there so i told him just meet me at 10:30 at my work and we'll walk down to the game together. he texted at 10 and asked me again what time he was supposed to be there and i told him 10:30 and he said oh well i just woke up and i said well head out soon. i wanted to get down to the stadium with enough time to get food, drinks and find our seats etc. we almost missed the kick off but the good thing is, we didn't. but i don't want him to be late on me again. i told him i was upset. i think he got the point. i was just curious
    pmg1030

Comment by pmg1030 (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think being late is disrespectful. It means I wasn't important enough to plan your day around. Now if he was legitimately stuck in a meeting or something of that nature AND he sent me a message explaining so than I would forgive him. Otherwise it's just rude.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• That would be very frustrating and yes disrespectful. I HATE being late to places and HATE when people are late in meeting me. If you can't make it ontime then call or reschedule. Don't make me the fool to wait around for you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well seeing as we're married, love each other and its never happens, I'd expect there was a good reason and that he'd be forthcoming with it. I would jump down his throat, I'd give him a chance first. If it was BS, then I might be upset.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:01 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• wouldn't
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010