Said something I shouldnt have in front of 3 year old...

My 3 year old daughter is a " bunny big ears" .... yesterday on the way home ( in the car) we thought she was sleeping ( eyes closed and she wasnt answering) ...so my husband was talking about when his paretns die ( his dad is in really bad shape and 75 years old) .. I was basically saying that if he dies soon we should move in with MIL to help her out ( she is 70 and trying to raise 10 year old neice), and my husband said that since he gets money when his dad passes that we will probably just buy one of the houses around her. Well my daughter heard this and now she keeps talking about getting money when papaw dies ( that is not how we meant it - we DONT want him to die or anything like that) ...and now I am afriad she will say something in front of MIL or FIL and they will think something bad ( like we are money hungry, which we are not)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Explain to her the truth, and the reasoning. 3yr olds are smarter than some might think, and she may understand enough not to say it in front of the inlaws. gl!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well at 3yo, he probly won't remember or understand so its a safe age to make that mistake at
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Then you need to explain to her how you meant it. That she shouldn't be repeating things that you and your husband talk about.
    Just talk to her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would let his parents know what happened. I would let them know exactly what you told us that way they will know where it is coming from. SHe will spill the beans.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would just explain to the parents instead of trying to explain to her. They would understand better.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i would bring it up in converstion with the parents. being that the whole thing started with you being concerned about her well being in the future.
    SUNFLOWER80T

Answer by SUNFLOWER80T at 11:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• talk to Miss Bunny ears and explain to her as best as you can when people go to heaven sometimes they receive special gifts from that person for you all were loved so much. and you all you want is to be living near grandma so she will never be lonely . That this is going to be every one's special gift from Papaw . and I would strongly suggest you talk to the adults concerned just in case as sunflower 80T said . Good Luck God Bless To you and Your family
    SCMomof2kids

Answer by SCMomof2kids at 12:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with kariemarie and supermommy
    tell his parents what your conversation was so that if she does say something they won't be shocked or misunderstand
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Whenever my kids hear things that they weren't supposed to, I try to be honest with them. "Yes honey, what you heard is true but it's not polite to talk about it with anyone but mommy or daddy." It always works. Kids are smart!
    spiritedbaby

Answer by spiritedbaby at 1:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Oh my goodness! Maybe you guys should tell your family the story in case she does say something!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010