what happens if i try to let my baby cry it out and she just keeps crying?

i need help sleep training because she is getting heavy to rock and she is only 10 months!

SweetMiss

Asked by SweetMiss at 9:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you cuddle her and let her know you are there??
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• sometimes ya have to do that actually. They wear themselves out after awhile
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i let mine cry for 30 min sometimes longer i peak in when they get a lil calmer, if u cant handle the screams try closeing the door so its not as loud it takes a while but it will work
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• doing the cry it out method is not easy. we did it with my 18 month old and it did work wonders, but it took about 4 nights. the first night he cried for 1 hr :(. the second it was 50 minutes. the third it was 10 minutes and the fourth he didn't really cry. that was about a month and a half ago. he is so easy to put to bed now. i lay him down awake. good luck with whatever method you decide is right for you!
    steph0602

Answer by steph0602 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I know what you are going threw, and its going to take alot of patience on your part! Rock her for a little bit, but not till she is sleeping, lay her down while she is sleepy but not asleep. and then lean over her crib and sing to her and let her no that you are there!
    I done that for a week, then i layed down on the floor and pretended i was sleeping, and she lid down when she thought i was sleeping and went to sleep herself...then i done that for a week.....then i sat up beside her crib, until she fell asleep, done that fro a week and then slowly moved closer and closer to the door, each week. until one night i was able to lay her in her crib and walk out of her room and shut the door, and she went to sleep all by herself :) Good luck mama.....
    Oh yea if she cry's when you leave the room, peek your head in and say shhhhhh mommy is right here baby....shhhhh...
    Good luck!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 9:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Go some where in a different room for a while to regain your patience..maybe ask dh/so or somebody to help watch her while you cat nap? Go back and try again..maybe she's not feeling well?
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 10:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• crying it out is very hard especially the first time. We are actually going through it again sort of now. My DD decided a week ago that she no longer wanted to sleep in her bed, so she has been climbing out as soon as I leave and crying/screaming for me at her door/gate and she ends up sleeping on the floor for the night. The first night she cried for like 30 mins and each night it is less and less but you have to let them know that you are not coming back. If you keep going back it is only going to prolong it. Unless, when you go in you don't talk to them, just pat their backs and leave shortly. When we cried it out with my daughter (we did it early 4 months I think) the worst was 20 mins in the middle of the night but like the PP poster, each night is easier. And when I knew something was wrong, like she had a cold I always went in to her. If you have to, once you put your LO to bed, find something to keep you busy.
    Expecting1st

Answer by Expecting1st at 10:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I did cry it out with our first, and I have to disagree I find it harder with my second. I don't CIO with her. I put her down, and turn on her music box. If she keeps crying I go in there pick her up *I don't turn anything on or talk to her* and I will rock her for a few minutes until she calms down. Then I put her back down and she is out.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• CIO....Is suppose to be done like lovemybaby283 said...You dont let them cry for an hour straight. Especially if they get really upset or start crying hard. If they cry and stop for a few minites thats ok. But if they just keep crying you should go in and calm them by rubbing/patting them or picking them up if that doesnt work. But dont get them all awake by turning on lights etc...It is hard at first but it pays off in the end! Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What happens if she just keeps crying. The worst that could happen is that the baby could die. What developmental psychologists think happens is that babies are left to cry it out and eventially stop crying are giving up. One of the most important psychological tasks for babies is learning trust. It's hardwired in their brain that when they cry their mothers are supposed to come and protect them. Human mothers have always and still do in most cultures breastfeed and sleep next to their babies and toddlers. If a babies wakes and finds itself alone it's hardwired in it's brain to cry for mother to be protected. Learning to give up has lifelong psychological consequences. It's been such a short time in the US that babies have been expected to sleep in cribs and not have their mother meet their needs when they cry that we don't know the lifelong consequences.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2010