To people who aren't religious only please...(Don't know where else to put this)

I do not know what religion I am. I spent a good portion of my childhood in some sort of church. Presbyterian sp? Baptist.. and even a Seventh Day Adventist sp? church on Saturdays. My mom used it more like a day care so we would go with our friends and that's it. My dad grew up as a southern Baptist, in Arkansas, but he never picked up a bible or went to church, even when we went to visit him mom in Arkansas he refused to go. My mom went a few times but didn't ever really want to.

So point is religion wasn't a main topic growing up, not once.

Now as an adult with a child of my own I have tried to believe, but seriously, I don't. Even as a child I couldn't make myself believe no matter how hard I tried.

When I was 5 I lost a close relative and I have never recovered. I can't fall back on religion so I'm still lost as far as death goes. continued...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can't force religion. Even if you find a label for yourself you aren't going to be able to force yourself to believe things that aren't in your heart. The first step is discovering what you truly believe and why. Educating yourself on a number of religious groups would be a good thing as well, many times people have beliefs they don't register as beliefs because they aren't accepted by they groups they have been associated with. The second step is, if you truly wish to have some label is to discover which belief system fits with what you already believe. But in my mind, there isn't any reason for a label... It's easy enough to just create your own path, why walk a well worn path if you don't fit? My path is all mine & I like it that way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If your heart tells you there is no god....or that you can't believe in the churchs idea of god...that is fine. Listen to your heart as it will never lie to you. If your belief is, dead is dead...the end...nothing else. Then that is your beliefs. Many people feel this way. I believe personal beliefs are ever evolving and as you continue to grow and think on things, your beliefs will evolve more into what you understand.
    You just have to learn to listen to what your heart is telling you. and that means ignoring all the other people around who think THEIR beliefs should be everyone's beliefs.
    It is way too personal for any belief to be a Universal belief. It's within each of our hearts.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Belief-O-Matic powered by SelectSmart.com

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The only thing I know for sure is that he is in the ground, dead, no brain, no thoughts, I'm doubtful of spirits and souls.

Sadly the closest I have been to death was when I got put under to have my wisdom teeth removed, And from what I know I didn't dream a dang thing and I didn't have some out of body experience, to me that was like death.

Anyone else have trouble grasping death because of lack of religion?

I'm not athiest, I might be agnostic but not sure.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think your trying to much to kinda follow the crowd and go with what everyone else is doing. Look into other faiths, like Pagan or things like that. They aren't wierd they involve a very open way of thinking and teach you about all the different things out there. If your not feeling it with the Bible god, then don't force yourself. You have to go with what feels right.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Why does it matter what you are? And more importantly- why are you trying so hard to believe in something which does not even exist?

Sorry, your relative does not have a soul, he is dead. Its that simple, he ceased to exist- its time to let go.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It doesn't matter what I am, what I am thinking of is death. I am stating that I am not anything because I don't want people to assume I believe in god, or spirits, or souls, when I am really just up in the air on every idea.. A part of me believes like you say, he is dead that is it, and a part of me, says differently. Which is why I in the air. I have let him go, but I have not let the idea go.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my childhood was some what like that too, my parents never went to church except to drop us off all the time, had the church camps we had to go, then later to CCD classes, was presbyterian, then went to catholic, it was shoved down our throats. It's hard to know what to believe, or let alone what is right, there are so many out there to choose from.
    tamithy

Answer by tamithy at 10:18 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The finality of death does scare me but it makes more sense than the idea of some imaginiary friend in the sky pulling strings on our lives
    aidansmommy961

Answer by aidansmommy961 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010