Snack and meal ideas

My son will be one very soon. He is starting to eat a ton of solids and real foods. I was a skittish mom who only bought those gerber puffs, baby foods and cheerios. Now I want some ideas for stuff I can buy or make for him to eat and snack on!

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was like that too. my son is now 14 months and eats pretty much everything. he has a hard time with ground beef though. for snacks he likes fruit cut into small pieces- melons, mandarin oranges, peaches, strawberries, raspberries. tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, carrots, green beans are pretty easy to eat if they are steamed. chicken, turkey, beef- they can pretty much eat it all. i was concerned beforehand and talked to the pediatrician and he said he can eat anything, just cut it up in small pieces- it's amazing what they can eat! and my son only has 6 front teeth. crazy!
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Most of the foods people consider toddler foods aren't nutritious. Toddlers don't need to drink milk. It is constipating, causes digestion problems, is related to obesity, causes other health problems, and is bad for the environment. If kids do have milk only 2 toddler size servings a day are recommended and they usually like milk products or foods with milk. Kefir is a yogurt like drink that is well liked and a good choice. Kids like yogurt, cheese, and foods with cheese.

Offer a variety of foods including foods you don't like. Avoid processed foods and things with white flour including pasta. There is whole grain pasta and pasta that is high fiber that isn't as dense as whole grain.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son loves chex mix, and has since he was about a year old. He's 3. It's not the healthiest (has a lot of salt) but he likes the variety. My favorite thing to fix for him is diced apples. He can pick up the little peices, which develops fine motor skills, and they're healthy. diced deli meats would be good too. A healhty source of protein. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• He can eat the healthy food you eat. Babies never need baby food, puffs, ect. They are like the junk food of feeding babies. Diced apples aren't a good idea because they are a choking hazarad and raw fruits are harder to digest, cooking helps the digestion process. Of course chex mix is too salthy and a choking hazard. Deli meats have nitrites in them a known carcinogen and are also salty.

Forked mashed sweet potato, banana, or avacodo are often recommended as first solids at 6 mo. You can slice cooked meat very thin or shred, not dice. Raw veggies like carrot and apple can be quickly shredded and fed raw or cooked slightly to help with digestion (steam or microwave).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son ate pretty much anything I ate at one. Ravioli and other finger pastas (rotini, macaroni, etc) either plain or with a little olive oil, cheese, or whatever sauce. Melon (without seeds of course!), berries, grapes (cut in quarters), green beans, black eyed peas - anything you eat, just take his out before you add sugar/salt.

Answer by missanc at 11:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No need to fuss really. We followed the principles of baby led solids from the start. Mango spears, blueberries, peas (even frozen ones are tastey), cut grapes, whole (peaches, plums, apples, pears). beans, hummus, guacamole or avocado spears, tomato slices, roasted sweet potato....etc Babies enjoy good food including soups, stews, and stirfry.

Really, the sky is the limit.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2010