DO YOU THINK PEOPLE IN POVERTY SHOULDNT HAVE THE LUX

As in Cable, internet, ect

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 10:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't believe that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It isnt your busines what someone below the poverty level does or does not have.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I grew up poor. A luxury was the occassional root beer in one of those frosted glasses down at the A & W. We didn't have luxuries because Mom was putting food on the table and clothes on our backs...without help from the government. If you can't feed your family without help then NO you shouldn't have luxuries. Nobody is entitled to anything they do not acquire throught their own labor. This of course does not include the truly disabled.

Oh, if my tax dollars are putting food on your table.............I get an opinion.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If they can squeeze the money, sure, everybody needs to be connected if possible. Internet can be as cheap as $5 per month. Let's face it, reception is bad even w/ the new boxes for TV w/o cable. Eating and a place to live of course come first.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:10 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am on medicare and medicaid and i am on disability. I am able to pay my bills. feed my family, keep a roof over our head. I have enough income left over to save some and to have internet access through a shared hub that the upper tenants pay half of the bill. they also share half the cable bill and phone bill as well. I MAKE money having internet,. it would sorely hurt our family to not have it. I honestly dont give a hoot what anyone else thinks about what i spend MY MONEY ON. they are not in my pocketbook.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Poverty is the lack of basic needs like health carewater, food, education ..etc , i dont think that those who needs the essential will have the LUX
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 10:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Internet is essential to getting a job.
    so yes, poor people should have internet.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't know about "shouldn't have" - but luxuries are just that. No one is entitled to those things, and government certainly shouldn't fund them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We struggled as a family when I was growing up. We went without all luxuries to keep food on the table and clothes on our backs without relying on the Govt. I think that is how it should be. If one cannot afford food, clothing, shelter...then one cannot afford internet, cable, cell phones, and shiney new cars. JMO. Growing up that way taught me to work my bottom off to earn what I have and has made me a stronger person.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't think that is for us to decide. Have you ever been poor? Seriously, don''t judge. Should I just go ahead and trash my future credit score, because I'm having a hard time right now, because my cable company has a $400 cancellation fee because I signed a contract before my husband smashed his hand and couldn't work? Or just pay the $40 a month. This really did happen to me. I was not taking advantage. In fact, the internet helped me find a job. I get so tired of people who have never really felt what rock bottom is deciding what poor people should and shouldn't have.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2010