How do YOU feel about the Pledge of Allegiance?

"The time will come (and the day may be near!) when all test laws, oaths of allegiances, abjurations, and partial exclusions from offices will be proscribed from this land of freedom...They originated in savage ignorance, and they are instruments of slavery." ~Noah Webster

For the full deal click here.

The founders had a difficult time thinking about oaths of office, and when Washington wanted an oath of loyalty during the war, it was struck down and never returned to. Our founders did not pledge allegiance to the flag- nor did they believe we should.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• its meaningless if compulsory.
    children are incapable of the level of understanding required to undertake such an oath

it should never have been bastardized against the author's wishes.

I have no problem with those who freely choose to take it.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I will admit, I get squirrely when think about being forced to "recite a pledge of allegience." However, if it is not forced, I find nothing wrong with it. If it is a sign of unity and common goals I find it uplifting. If it is a sign of blind following, I find it creepy. If it is forced, I find it a violation of human rights, and the ideals that this country stands for. However, since I am basically an optimist I will go along with it is a sign of unity. :)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with the Pledge of Allegiance.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well I do not believe in pledging my allegiance to anyone or anything. I don't believe in 'my country right or wrong.' Loyalty oaths reek of nazism to me. If the government wanted me to do something that I found morally repugnant, my loyalty is to myself and my ethics, not to my government in that situation. Which is why I do not believe in the pledge of allegiance.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I will not say the pledge of allegiance, neither will my kids. To me, those stars represent the mass murder that happened to the Indigenous/native people that were here. That's how I feel about it.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 10:41 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• our Annual Day of Prayer was taken away from us - yet Obama had the wherewithall to cite a Day of Prayer for the Muslims in this country and participate with them by kneeling down on his knees on the White House steps and praying to Allah - i just don't get it...
    __________________________
    Just a little FYI...a quick factcheck (try factcheck.org) will show you that these things are nothing more than rumors and lies. "Another version of this eRumor began circulating in December of 2009 saying that the Islamic Day of Prayer was at the White House. It also included a picture of the President removing his shoes in apparent preparation for prayer. This Islamic prayer gathering, as we reported above, did not take place at the White House and the picture had nothing to do with that event. The photo was taken when President Obama toured a mosque in Turkey during his April 2009 tour." He never prayed on the Whithouse steps.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I believe that it is a way to Unite us as a country, however there are choice words in it that I do not like, seems how we are suppose to be the land of the free and not everyone in this country believes in god.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:16 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't have a problem with it. I wish kids in school learned what they were actually saying instead of obligatory rote memorization.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would be a happy person if religion was left out of a lot of things.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have no isues with the pledge if they would remove the God part that was added in the 50's i think it was?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2010