Should it be like this already?!

I'm only about 16 weeks pregnant, and already wearing a size large maternity pants...and they fit! I've gained over 30 pounds now. Should I be worried?

DereksBabyMomma

Asked by DereksBabyMomma at 10:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should talk to your OB - some women gain a lot of weight at first, some don't gain much of anything until much later.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Have you had an ultrasound? Is this a singleton pregnancy?
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 10:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• 30 pounds in weight gain at only 16 weeks is a lot of gain, I know everyone is different, however I think 25-30 is about normal weight gain for the entire pregnancy. I am 27 weeks and have gained about 20 pounds. Do you do any exercises? Are you eating healthy?
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Everyone is different. I gained a little more with each pregnancy, but with breastfeeding was usually able to get back down pretty close to normal. Try to stay active though. Walking helps and that makes you feel better too. I did have to cut down on the sweets and drinks more as I got closer to my due date.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Everyone is different. If your Dr is not concerned about your weight then you don't need to worry. I get big fast. not with weight but My uterus tilts forwards and I show really fast and big. I also carry extra fluid. If you are concerned talk to your Dr about it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm eating very healthy, and doing what i can to exercise, but i can't do much because i'm hurting so bad with back and leg pain. we haven't been able to get an ultrasound yet (we live in a small town where the dr's aren't equipped as much as they should be, so the machines were all being used when we went and we didn't want to wait), but we're going on wednesday. the doctor says she's suspicious of it being twins....and to tell the truth, i am too.
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Don't worry about it.. I was just like you. I gained a ton of weight in my first and second trimester and none in my third. When I gave birth I lost like 30lbs automatically. I retained a lot of water weight.. But if you are concerned or if you don't feel right talk to your OB.. Good Luck.. :)
    JMMROSE

Answer by JMMROSE at 10:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I gained about 90 lbs with my pregnancy. NONE of it was in the first trimester. And I lost most of it withing the two months after he was born. He was just a big boy. The books say the norm for an entire pregnancy is 30 lbs - but ALL WOMEN ARE DIFFERENT.
    MamaOfB

Answer by MamaOfB at 10:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ... That said, If you're concerned, you can always talk to your OB.
    MamaOfB

Answer by MamaOfB at 10:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well, that is kind of a lot for only 16 weeks. The weight gain really picks up towards the end. However, as long as you're maintaining a healthy diet and keeping a healthy active level, you should be fine. However, that is a symptom of pre-eclampsia, so talk to your doctor, just in case. I gained 50 lbs total with my pregnancy and lost 43 of it within 3 weeks of leaving the hospital. A LOT of it was water weight and the baby.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:37 AM on Sep. 13, 2010