Should people on "welfare" not be allowed to buy certain things?

I work at a "corner store" and we have been getting alot of people on food stamps coming in and just buying junk food---chips~ pop~ energy drinks~ ice cream etc. So much so that we can almost predict it just buy looking at their purchases. It aggravates me to know I'm working so they can sit around and get fat!!

Carolannie

Asked by Carolannie at 10:44 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Please do not listen to these people bashing you!!!! I don't think that people's hard earned tax dollars should be spent on soda and chips!!! There are times when I can't buy stuff like that, and we just don't buy it.... I'm not on food stamps, and there is nothing wrong with using it if you need it, but if I were to run out, get on food stamps and then just started buying whatever I wanted, there would be something wrong with that!!!!! I think they should track what types of things people are buying with it (yes, they have that right, as it is the governments money), and if someone is spending ridiculous amounts of money on junk, then they should start lowering the amount they are able to receive.
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 11:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• And how do you know they aren't working? How do you know what is going on and their reason for buying junk? I think maybe you should just do your job and not worry about it or judge.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think they have food stamps..they can get any food they want. I'm on food stamps and when I take my kids with me shopping, they like to get some snacks like chips & ice cream! Why should they be told what food to buy just because they need a little help?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Lobster, T-Bone, Crab....things that cost an arm and leg and that the average non-welfare family would never buy because they are trying to stretch the budget as far as possible.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:48 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ditto, how exactly DO You know they are not working class poor? and if they can afford some treats for themselves and thier family what right do YOU have to sit in judgement. maybe customer service isnt your best line of employment. I do believe that foodstamps needs to be modified. its all computerized. i dont see why there cannot be ALLLOTED amounts maximum for categories like junk food and soda. like a WIC check has specific stuff it can be used on etc. However I dont think its your place to think YOU have any right about.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:48 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't get it. Why do you care?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:49 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• So i guess in your opinion people on food stamps should just roll over and die b/c their all useless? I mean thats the kind of attitude im getting from you. I have personally been on food stamps before and yes i did buy pop, ice cream, chips, but i also bought healthy stuff and stuff to make sure my child had what she needed!! its ok to have some junk food, its not against the law!! and personally you should mind your own business. I mean you work in at a "corner store" so how much money could you possibly be making yourself. Who is to say these people dont have jobs and just need the little boost of help!! i swear people like you need to get off your high horse!
    stevynjjsmoma

Answer by stevynjjsmoma at 11:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'd just do my job and be happy I didn't have to use food stamps. You never know why they are using them and often sometimes things seem very different than what they are.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with the 2 ladies that posted before me. I was on food stamps and on finacial assitance meaning I received cash as well as my food stamps for about a year. During that time I bought what I wanted...chips, icecream, soda, and whatever else I felt like getting. I am still on the food stamps but no longer on the TANF. I use my food stamps to buy food for birthday parties for my kids...mind you our parties consist of about 10 people. And for your information Carolannie I didnt sit around and get fat. I worked hard after my exhusband left me alone with my toddler and expecting baby # 2. I worked at BK barley making ends meet so YEA I USED WELFARE...it's people like you that make a lot of fmailies feel guilty or embarrased that they need the extra help.
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 10:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with the others, Why do you care what is being bought with food stamps? I work in a grocery store bakery and sell alot of birthday cakes to food stamp paying customers. Just because the parents have to be on food stamps to feed their kids, does that mean the kids shouldn't get a cake for their birthday from a bakery?
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 11:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010