They just do not tug at my heart strings, I do not know what to do...

I have 4 soon to be 5 grand children. Sure they are cute, they make me laugh, but I do not feel that strong attachment to them I hear grand parents talk about. I just hope I have hidden my feelings well enough from my own children.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 10:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Well I have two grandmothers just like you. They love my kids and are proud of them but a strong attachment? Nah and really there is no hiding it. It is quite obvious.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I hope you do too, and most especially don't let your grandchildren see it. Do you get to see them much at all? Could that be why? Or do you just have an indifference to children? Maybe when you were done with raising your kids, in your mind you just decided you had enough. I don't have any advice on how to make your feelings stronger, but all I can say is, just don't let them see it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• How did you feel about your kids as their mom?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• surprised

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Are you a "young" grandmom? If you are, maybe it is just that you are not "ready" to be Grandmom.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• To be clear, my kids are the best! I would move mountains for them! I love them all more than words can say.
    Noosa

Comment by Noosa (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Have you been able to spend much time with them?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I can't speak about anyone else but i saw my one set of grandparents twice in my life and when they died i didn't feel anything. i know i should be sad but because of the lack in my life( they were in another country ) well they couldn;t help it. i did feel a little guilty but i think we all have different relationships with different family members by the experiences and distances they play in our lives. i have another set of grandparents that practically raised me along with my parents. so its ok to not have a very strong bond but you still love them. Also as they grow the relationship will change. don't worry too much.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have 12 grandkids and I don't feel a huge attachment to all of mine either sometimes it's just because I feel as if I do all of the contacting to see if I can see them it gets tiring I have 3 I see on a regular basis and I love those 3 to the hilt but to constantly be having to call I am tired of it you would think they the parents would want you to have a realtionship with the grandkids but I guess not.
    My mom was never anyone who wanted kids let alone grandkids I wanted them both I feel like I've gotten cheated out of being who I wanted to be.
    I really don't have any advice except to not let the grandkids see how you feel
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010