University of Phoenix?

I'm thinking about going here for college...Anyone have an opinion? I'd love to hear them...good or bad.

Dayija

Asked by Dayija at 10:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• There was an article I read recently that did NOT have good things to say about Univ of Phoenix - specifically about the prospects of getting a job after graduation and the cost of attendance. Many employers do not want to hire people who graduated from for profit schools. I would think you are better off going to a local college/university - many of them have online classes available also.

Answer by missanc at 11:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would not go there. I've heard they've had problems with being accredited and people getting employed based on their degrees.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When I was looking at online masters of education programs I found then to be over priced and still had to go out to AZ to take my teachers test and hope that it transferred to MA!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:10 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's overpriced, and the diploma isn't worth much. If you want to go to a "virtual campus," I would look at local colleges and see what courses they offer online. A few of our local ones offer the first 2 years virtually, then minimal classes where you have to attend in the higher grades.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Like the others said, a lot of employers will not accept a degree from there. My husbands company is one of those that will not. Plus it is super expensive.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Go with a local college or university. You'll know then that it's accredited, that your credits will tranfer and that a potiential employer will take your degree seriously.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I started out at University of Phoenix- until someone pointed out to me that other schools and businesses don't take them seriously. I called around. The colleges in the state of Utah actually said that they would not accept a transfer from UOP. Yes they are accredited by the Government, but that doesn't mean they are accepted by the public.

I talked to some schools in Washington state and they said if I had a degree from UOP then they might be able to accept a couple classes as a transfer but not many.

This was a few years ago so things might have changed since then. I called some prospective businesses to see if they would accept a degree from UOP and all of them said no. I would call around before you start there. It would suck to pay all that money hand have nothing to show for it.

Also your local community college probably has degrees that you can get 100% online now. At the very least it will save you soom money :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• *some not soom- sorry.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• University of Phoenix, I thought about going there, until my husband told me that no one would hire me afterward. Any employer would laugh at the "degree" you got from them. Look at your local colleges and see if they have a distance learning program.
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 10:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010