It's not just them!! I need advice

So this weekend we had my step mom's funeral. We weren't that close, but she was my dad's wife and brothers mom so of course i loved her. Well NOBODY, not the pastor or my dad or her family, mentioned me or my son thru out the whole service. Everything was my dad, my step mom, and my brother. I'll admit it made me angry and really hurt my feelings, especially since she did have a grandson. Am i being ridiculous and over sensitive? I feel like reminding my dad he has a daughter too, not just a son like he's always acted. Should i say something or leave it alone?

jolee0222

Asked by jolee0222 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I am so sorry that happened to you, i am sure that really hurt your feelings- That was extremly disrespectful & You and your Son should of been mentioned- i think sometimes after a death; either people are not thinking clearly or they are being selfish- i don't understand why the Worst comes out in some after a loved one passes- You have to do what is going to make you feel better- if you feel you need to talk to your dad about this, then i would- maybe, give it a little time so that you can be calm & he has had some time to pull himself together- Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Leave it alone. It would hurt me too, but leave it alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What a tough situation, I'm sorry. :( I do think it is incredibly insensitive that you and your son were left out. If I were you, I probably wouldn't feel better until I had at least spoken with someone about it. I'm not good at that type of thing, though, so I can't tell you the best thing to do/say. GL!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would definitely say something. My inlaws had a marriage and they didn't blend the family well. I've stood up for my kids on more than one occasion,and it's done nothing but good.

Just be gentle.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Leave it alone. It's not your place to say anything, the funeral is over. Your father and brother were the ones who decided what all was to bed said at the funeral.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:06 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My moms dad died in March when the family had to meet up with the pastor and he gave us instructions about driving to the cemetary and we did a prayer time there were only 3 seats upfront one for my grandma one for my moms brother and one for his wife. I thought it was so messed up because he was always the favorite and I think it was done on purpose everyone noticed it my mom chose to just say nothing to them. She did vent about it to me. How sad people have to act that way. I say just enjoy your son and make sure that negative family drama dosent affect either of you.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If I were you, I would give it just a little while. Then, I would talk to my Dad and tell him that it had really hurt my feelings, and just explain why to him. The reason I say to wait a little while, is you will ALL be hurting right now, and with emotions running high anyways, if you try and talk to him now you are both more likely to say things you will regret later.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with mommy 11260
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am sorry this hurt your feelings so much. This funeral was not about you. So you are going to have to get over your hurt feelings. Breathe in and out, drink a glass of wine or coke. Do something to forgive the forgetfulness of others in their time of sorrow. hugs to you.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would just leave it alone. It's hard and it would hurt my feelings too. It happen to me at my FIL funeral. Everyone on of my SILs were mentioned but I wasn't. They didn't even mention my youngest son either (MIL didnt think it was my husbands even though I never cheated and my son looks like my husband) I just let it go. I rather dont argue or deal with them. If they want to be petty like that let them
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 13, 2010