$60 Billion Arms deal, thoughts?

WASHINGTON (AFP) – In the largest US arms deal ever, the administration of US President Barack Obama is ready to notify Congress of plans to offer advanced aircraft to Saudi Arabia worth up to 60 billion dollars, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

The newspaper said the administration was also in talks with the kingdom about potential naval and missile-defense upgrades that could be worth tens of billions of dollars more.

The administration sees the sale as part of a broader policy aimed at shoring up Arab allies against Iran, the report said.

The 60 billion dollars in fighter jets and helicopters is the top-line amount requested by the Saudis, even though the kingdom is likely to commit initially to buying only about half that amount, the paper said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100913/wl_mideast_afp/ussaudiweaponstrade_20100913060123

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The US is the largest arms dealer in the world..

We make BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars a year in arms deals around the world. Deals with so called friends, and so called enemies.

This is par for the course, and pretty much a normal deal/occurance in regards to our government. Nothing new here.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Its typical if you ask me. Bush gave or sold BILLIONS in weapons to our enemys to make money. So did Clinton and Regan, Carter and Ford, CHECK the news and records for back then. Govt's have been doing this for EVER. It shouldnt suprise anyone who actually keeps up on current events.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• *shakes head* and people are griping about PA?

Saudi's are PAYING for it. My thoughts are they that the Saudi's are afraid of Iran. They have even given Israel permission to use their airspace. They need to defend themselves from Iran.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• LOL....yes, Presidents have been selling weapons to foreign countries for decades---this is nothing new. And what do you suppose the Presidents before Obama did with the money???Hmmmm?
    This is just business as usual.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I guess Obama feels that we don't need the weapons so we can keep our guys working and sell the technology internationally and make money off of it. I'd be more interested to know what he does with the money.

Answer by itsmesteph11 2 hours ago
    ************************************************
    Oh this is funny!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When under Reagan Congress would not approve a similar deal, Reagan went through the British instead . What was of interest then were the enormous kickbacks paid to Saudi Princes and senior military , so large that there have been documentary exposures of them on PBS and BBC , after one Briton so sickened by the corruption went publlc.

If Congress does approve this deal, I hope it includes cast-iron safeguards against corruption. Corruption is a way of life in Arab and some other countries.

janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I guess Obama feels that we don't need the weapons

seriously?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's dumb, but hey we keep electing dummies in office. I mean thing about it for a minute all countries have to is play nice we sell them weapons when usually they would have weaker weaponry. Then they turn on us and attack us with our own weapons for a fair fight. What would normally be a slam dunk is now a guessing game on who wins. Two countries fighting with equal weapons will end in a draw with many innocent deaths, I agree with the statement that it is sad people bitch about PA. Even though you make no money with that it is so much safer then selling our weapons.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010