How do you get your two yr old to stop using her "pon" pacifier??

She is going to be 3 in December and still cannot go to sleep without it. He little brother 1 yr old does well without it but she likes to go over and have him use it all the time.. so they both love to give each other a "pon" and walk around with it..
Problem x2

mamiD4

Asked by mamiD4 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, I don't believe in taking their comfort away. She WILL give it up on her own given time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:18 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Humm I threw them out in the dumpster at my bakery. There was no going back, we had some sleepless nights but then DONE. MY daughter was the same age as yours. IT was a pain.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You are the momma. take charge. will she scream and fuss a bit. yup and in a couple days its over and she has moved on. Bradenismyson there are many reasons a child that age should not still have a paci. thier teeth being a HUGE ONE.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when my daughter was about 2 yrs old, we were in the mall and she lost it somewhere there. That was it. We told her that her binky was all gone. No more binky. She fussed for a day or two, and that was it.
    Dolotuc

Answer by Dolotuc at 11:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I was totally coll wih my son having his for as long as he wished as long as it stayed in hisbed and it was only used during sleep time. Then I started having teeth issues. When he was 16 mo he knocked out a tooth (that was June 2009). This Spring we started noticing that he was putting his paci in the hole where the tooth was and as a result pushing his other teeth over. So we sais, "It's time!" The week before we took it we were on vacation and the whoe week we talked about how we were going to give our pacis to "Baby Maggie" (a good friend's daughter) and that babies need them more than big boys etc etc. So we really built it up. We also promised a bigh boy bed and fun new bedding (he was in his toddler bed at the time). When we came home I gave him a day or two to get back into being here and then one AM we took a small paperlunch bag and decorated all pretty for baby maggie. Then we went around collecting
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Actually, until she has permanent teeth, there is no impact on teeth if she only uses it to sleep. It will no adversely affect he speech if she removes it to talk. I have know MANY people young and old that have used a paci until right before they started school. None of those people have any outstanding issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• the pacis...We went to my friend's house and gave them to her,,,.He was GREAT!! He did sooo well! We were shocked! He did take a little longer to fall aslepp but that was it. When he missed it he would tell himself baby maggie has them and she needs them and that he's a big boy. Soooo cute! We really thought it would be a nighmare since he was obcessed. He'd have to have one for each hand..lol I think sometimes some crutches are just as much ours as theirs...GL
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I sucked my thumb til I was 10 (not sure why I'm admitting this..lol) but I NEVER had braces
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I didn't use pacis for either of my kids BUT when my friend weaned her child off his paci (at 8-9 months), she transferred his comfort to a stuffed animal. I actually thought it was pretty smart. LOL, she would give him his little animal instead of a pacifier. He still likes to naw on things (but he's 10-11 months so that's not unusual) but he doesn't even miss his paci anymore.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010