do you think its wierd....

To say your married even if you are not and to even use his name?

I am not married and I always refer to my spouse as SO. I have noticed though many others say they are married. One friend I thought they were not that its a big deal I just find it wierd wasn't sure if its just me. When they had issues she took his name off of hers on facebook and told me they aren't really married. I was like oh ok. LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• yeah, if you're not married that'd be weird. why say you were and use his name if it hasn't happened? I don't get it.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 11:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• depends on how long they are together i don't find it odd at all
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It could be common law marriage so that would be ok. It's not an official marriage, but some states will recognize it (take Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell for instance).

Just to flat out declare that you are married (disregarding common law), then yeah a bit weird, but their business. When my DH was my boyfriend, he was just that, my boyfriend. When he was my fiance, I called him that. I never said we were married until we actually were.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my dh and i are common law. we've been together about 5 years and our second child is due in 6 weeks. it's just easier than explaining to people. everyone where we moved to assumed we were married so we just went with it. we may as well be married, it's not like either of us plan on going anywhere.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If I had been with the person a long time and was engaged then I wouldn't think it to be odd. Now if they are newly dating or not engaged then it would strike me as odd.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:35 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Wait, I'm confused, you just referred to your SO as your spouse?? Isn't that what you're talking about?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:40 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you've been together long enough some people do consider their SO their spouse, even if it's not legally so. If they've been dating a short time and they're considering their SO their spouse then it is weird. I know that my niece puts her boyfriend's last name as hers on her Facebook after mere weeks of dating. It's weird, desperate, and clingy. I would definately be like "See Ya!" if I were her guy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well I always refer to my partner as SO because we have been togther for 10years and have 3 kids. I don't think of him as a BF but no we are not married. She on the other hand has been with her Bf for a year a little less. If it was longer it would not seem as wierd but I never use his last name even though I get referred to as it because that is my kids last name. I persoanlly have no desire to get married and believe its just a piece of paper. I am not saying we will never marry we may one day.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Oh AZ has no common law marriage that where we are.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yah..that's pretty weird! lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010