We are planning to foster children very soon, and my question is:

Should we make sure that each child has their own room, or should I let the children of the same sex share a room?? All kids need their privacy, but you can make that happen in shared rooms too?? Just looking for opinions!! :D

AdoptingMyChild

Asked by AdoptingMyChild at 11:41 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• When they're young, like under about age 10, sharing a room can actually be better for building relationships. However, I agree that if the foster child has had issues in the past, s/he may do better with a private room. If you have the space for it, that is. And thank you for stepping up to help some child have a safe place.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you have the space, it might be nice for the children to have their own rooms. A kiddo from foster care might feel more comfortable having his/her own space (something he/she may never have had before). Anyway, I would also take into consideration the risk-lever of the child. If the kiddo has ever been sexually abused or has a history of vicitimizing other children, it might be a safer situation to have the children in separate spaces. Good for you for fostering a child!!! That's awesome!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Similar ages and similar genders would be fine, I would think.
    You can get curtain dividers to increase privacy for each room as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i would think that depends on the children's ages, if they are bothers/sisters etc. and also on the child's individual situation maybe? i am just musing outloud here
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What are the policies of the foster care program?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The policies are just that the room situations have to be age appropriate and same genders in the rooms. I wouldn't be doing anything against policy. I'm just looking for personal opinions on this! :D
    AdoptingMyChild

Comment by AdoptingMyChild (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• **risk-level
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I always shared a room- in fact, i've never had my own room my entire life! hahaha
    either shared with my sister (5 years younger), and then in college I always had a roommate... then I got married
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• if u have the ability to give each kid thier own room go for it , if not put them in same room by gender and age and if a child has to share a room let each kid design thier side of thier room how they want
    Kat02

Answer by Kat02 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010