Labor

I am due any day now, and cant wait until my water breaks. any tips on how i can make this process go faster?

Tanisha709

Asked by Tanisha709 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There is nothing you can do except relax. Not to mention..your water does NOT have to break, baby can be born in the caul. Let your body and baby decide when to come and things will go much more smoothly and faster. And I also want to mention that "DUE" mean anywhere from 38-42 weeks, so don't flip out if you go to 42 and don't get induced, just sit back and wait.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i heard if you walk alot it can induce labor. Sex is also a trigger. but i also heard spicy food and certain herbal teas can do the same. I'm not sure which one works. Walking didn't help me any with my first.
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• nothing will make it go any faster. Baby will come out on his/her own when they are ready. However walking and sex are good and may help you to dilate
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 11:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• you can try all the things you read about and it may help pass the time...and walking may help keep you in shape for the HARD WORK that labor is....BUT it will only happen when it is meant to happen...i know thats not what you want to hear but its the truth...my dd was 6 days late and i thought it would NEVER happen on its own but it did...hang in there! sit back and relax and sleep as much as poss to stay rested up for when the time comes... once baby is here, you will never think twice about how long it took for them to get here again....GL and congrats!!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• walk a lot. have sex. rest. there really isnt anything you can do to make it come faster though.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• going past 41 wks isn't safe, your placenta has a life of 40 wks, after that it starts to slowly calcify each baby responds differently to this and eventualy it calcifies completely and that causes fetal death most hospitals won't let you go past 41 and if you hit 42 43 your dates were wrong or its a miracle its still working I have to have mine checked at 32-39 weeks bc I have a placenta that can age prematurely but its a natural process and will happen. Your ob will encourage you to walk and have sex and do anything safe to help it to progress. I had a slow leak when my water broke and was already in labor but I bounced on the birthing ball and my water gushed I was expecting that but it worked.
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree all of these things can be done to pass the time but I don't think that any of them actually make things go faster. I walked and walked and walked some more and I was 3 days late. I eventually had to go in and have my membranes stripped. That night I went into labor. Did the stripping help or was my baby and body finally ready? I don't know either way just try to relax and as the others have said get some sleep before you know it your little one will be here. Congrats on the new addition to your family. I hope you have a safe delivery and you and baby are both happy and healthy.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My DN was like 7 day over due and she did every thing. Sex, walking up and down stairs, cleaning, running around with her 5yr old son, spicy food. The only thing that worked was cod liver oil. (Yuk) once she took it she went into labor within 6 hours after taking it. I was 10 days late with my first and I had Spanish red beans and rice. So it is to each its own. Good luck and get a lot of rest what ever happens.
    lovealynn

Answer by lovealynn at 12:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• just fyi, your water might not break until after the baby is born, and labor can start without your water breaking :) with my first, my water broke first, but with my 2nd, my water broke about 20 min before he was born. gl!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• SEX! my ob told me a combination of sperm and orgasm help things get moving.
    tcmaneen

Answer by tcmaneen at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010