Can stress cause diarrhea in a toddler?

I HAD to take my son to daycare about 3 weeks ago. He had some real separation issues with that, but had a great time playing with the kids. SO I decided to start taking him for 2 hrs 2 days a week, just so he could have time away from me, and time with other kids. Everything was okay until Tuesday. In 2 hrs he had 3 diaper changes because of diarrhea, he had 1 more when we got home, but then none at all on Weds. Thursday Morning (today) he had a soft, but regular poop at home, and then diarrhea again at daycare. I wouldn't have taken him if I knew he was going to be 'sick', but I had NO clue. And when I picked him up, one of the workers said "maybe it's stress", could it be?

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 2:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes it can be but don't stop taking him to daycare. the reason i say yes is beacause i know when i get stress out or nurvise i get diarrhea. just like some people chew there nails thats his way of getting use to the changes try to send some things to comfort in but don't stop sending him beacause that will send the message that "hay if i get stressed or upset mom's not got to stick with this" and there are just going to be times when you don't have a choose. i know it's not easy but being a mom is not easy and i know i have 3 girls of my own and 2 step kids.
    mama3g2s

Answer by mama3g2s at 3:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I haven't heard of stress causing diahrrea but it is possible. Other causes include foods especially apple juice or lots of fruit ... this is a good site: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081500.asp You could try florastor kids. it's OTC and give to child 2x a day to help get the digestive track back on track.
    Anonymous