Should the Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy Be Repealed?

This was the question posted on FB this morning from Diane Sawyer... I have been reading through the answers there but wondered how they would differ if the question were posted here...

What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• YES

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• does it matter thats how some gays that joined the military got out when they found out they were going to iraq had 1 gay friend do this
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think the dont ask dont tell is wrong. I mean how is it fair that 2 men who happen to be in a relationship can live in the same room as long as they dont tell anyone but a man and woman can not. I think that they should have to know those things so that they can be roomed differently. I know they are still people and need treated the same but if it were me i wouldnt feel as comfortable in my room if i thought i had to worry about what my roomy was thinking about doin to or with me all the time.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• gays have always been in the military this B.S has to stop!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• yes, i believe it should - it's a farce the way it is now ..
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I guess I just feel that who someone goes home with is none of anyone's business. So in that sense the don't ask part works for me. You couldn't ask someone on a job interview if they were gay that's discrimination. The military should not be exempt. The don't tell doesn't work because no one should have to hide who they are just to serve their country. All the hubhub about unwanted advances is bunk. That would be sexual harrassment and is illegal across the board.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• So in that sense the don't ask part works for me. You couldn't ask someone on a job interview if they were gay that's discrimination

Thats not the wat DADT works. Service people show pics of lived ones all the time. Attend functions with their spouses, gf/bf's and its all good...It only matters if you are GAY. Show a pic of your SO and you  can lose everything...someone snithes....bye...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Everyone shows pics of loved ones and spouses. Military personnel are not special in that way. The answer is there is no easy solution. Will serving in the military be easier on gays if they admit it? No. Should everyone just get over it if they knew they were serving with gay people? Yes. But it is not going to happen. Don't ask, don't tell was not the best thing but it sure was not the worst because there is no answer to this that will ever make everyone happy. Personally, I don't see why either side, gay or straight, should have to go around announcing what they are and that is should even matter because in the grand scheme of things, who someone loves is not the business of anyone else nor is it something to fight about on here every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It depends, I'm not sure of every aspect of this policy but In my opinion, Don't ask Don't tell means mind your own business, you do your job and I'll do mine. Why do some Gays feel the need to make sure everyone knows they are gay and proud of it? To me that's like someone saying, "I pick my nose and I want everyone to know about it". It's not something most people want to know.
    Now if the policy says you have to hide the fact you are gay then I don't think that's right either. You should be able to live your home life as you please.
    I don't care how much you think a gay is entitled to and I don't care that you feel they are wronged by not being accepted. Many people do not accept the lifestyle and a policy where gays go around touting their gayness would just causes problems. Personally, I don't care if they are there if they do their job but I agree with the don't ask , don't tell policy for the most part.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010